Malaysia Covid-19 Latest News

Headlines

3,306 new cases, four fatalities bring death toll to 605

National

Covid-19 cases in the country remained above the 3,000 mark as Malaysia entered the sixth day of the second movement control order. In a statement, Health director-general Tan Sri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said the country recorded 3,306 new Covid-19 cases on Monday (Jan 18). This takes the tally up to 161,740. Four people also died due to the coronavirus, raising Malaysia’s Covid-19 death toll to 605. The country also discharged 2,293 Covid-19 patients, which means 122,344 people have recovered. The number of people with active Covid-19 infections in Malaysia has gone up to 38,791. Currently, 226 patients are in intensive care, with 94 requiring ventilator support.

3,339 new cases, 7 new fatalities bring total to 601

National

A total of 3,339 Covid-19 cases were recorded on Sunday (Jan 17) with 15 of them being imported cases, says the Health Ministry. There were also seven deaths recorded, bringing the total number of deaths to 601. The ministry said since the beginning of the pandemic to date, there were a total of 158,434 positive cases in the country. The Health Ministry also said some 2,676 Covid-19 patients were also discharged, bringing the total number of recovered cases to 120,051. Currently, there are 240 patients in the intensive care unit, with 93 of them requiring ventilator support.

PM warns against disrupting gov't efforts to curb pandemic

National

Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin issued a stern warning to anyone attempting to disrupt efforts to manage the Covid-19 situation in the country. Calling for calm, Muhyiddin urged Malaysians to give their confidence and full support to the government as it works hard to combat the virus. He said this is important, as more effective steps are being taken throughout the emergency period to ward off the virus transmission. "I also want to give a stern warning that strict action will be taken against anyone who attempts to jeopardise the government's efforts in managing the Covid-19 pandemic for the sake of the people's well-being and nation's security.

MCO 2.0: Impact not as severe, says economist

National

The latest Movement Control Order (MCO) is better than the first one in March last year as not all states will be subjected to the more stringent restrictions, an economist said. Therefore, the impact on economic activities nationwide would not be as severe. Still, he said the MCO imposed on five states and three federal territories from Wednesday would slow Malaysia's economic recovery this year. The Finance Ministry, in its Economic Outlook 2021 report released last November, had projected the economy to grow between 6.5 per cent and 7.5 per cent this year.

King proclaims nationwide Emergency until Aug 1

National

The King has proclaimed a state of emergency nationwide from Tuesday (Jan 12) until Aug 1 as a proactive measure to contain the Covid-19 pandemic. Yang di-Pertuan Agong Al-Sultan Abdullah Ri'ayatuddin Al-Mustafa Billah Shah agreed to the decision after a meeting with Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin on Monday (Jan 11). "I urge the people to remain calm and strong to face this state of emergency and the movement control order for our own safety and interest," said Comptroller of the Royal Household of Istana Negara Datuk Ahmad Fadil Shamsuddin in a statement on Tuesday. He said that the Yang di-Pertuan Agong decreed that the emergency be in force up to Aug 1 or earlier if the number of Covid-19 cases can be effectively controlled and reduced.

PM to deliver address on proclamation of Emergency at 11am Tuesday (Jan 12)

National

Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin is scheduled to make a special address on the declaration of a state of emergency at 11am on Tuesday (Jan 12). The address will be shown live on Malaysian television channels RTM, BernamaTV, TV3 and Astro Awani This follows a proclamation by Yang di-Pertuan Agong Al-Sultan Abdullah Ri'ayatuddin Al-Mustafa Billah Shah on Tuesday, who agreed to the decision after a meeting with Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin on Monday (Jan 10). "I urge the people to remain calm and strong to face this state of emergency and the movement control order for our own safety and interest," said Comptroller of the Royal Household of Istana Negara Datuk Ahmad Fadil Shamsuddin in a statement on Tuesday (Jan 11)

UK-variant of Covid-19 has reached Malaysia, Dr Noor Hisham confirms

National

The highly-infectious variant of the coronavirus behind Covid-19 has been detected here, Health director-general Tan Sri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said today. He said the variant dubbed “UK B.1.1.7” was identified from a sample taken from a traveller who had been to the UK in December 2020. “The traveller tested positive on December 28, 2020 and has been isolated for further treatment,” Dr Noor Hisham said in a statement. The Health D-G said the ministry has been monitoring arrivals from countries that have reported the presence of the UK-variant, such as the Netherlands, Singapore, Turkey, the Philippines and India in addition to the UK itself.

MCO 2.0: NGOs welcome decision to allow exam students to attend school

National

Educational non-governmental organisations (NGOs) welcome the revised Covid-19 containment strategy, which allows students preparing for major examinations to attend school. They said the two-week Movement Control Order (MCO) for five states and three federal territories, as well as Conditional MCO and Recovery MCO in other states, would allow school administrators to supervise students better. National Parent-Teacher Association president Associate Professor Datuk Dr Mohd Ali Hassan said it would provide time for schools to plan ahead should other students be allowed to resume their activities.

Eight new clusters detected in last 24 hours

National

Eight new Covid-19 clusters have been detected over the last 24 hours, raising the total number of active clusters to 258. Health director-general Tan Sri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said the top three clusters which contributed the highest number of new cases today were the Tembok Choh cluster (157 cases), Teratai cluster (83 cases) and the Beringin cluster (48 cases). Among the eight new clusters detected today, the Jalan Keluli cluster, which involves the Kota Tinggi, Johor Bahru and Segamat districts in Johor, reported the highest number of cases with 42.

3,000 volunteers in Phase 3 clinical trial for Covid-19 vaccine - Muhyiddin

National

A phase 3 Covid-19 vaccine clinical trial will start on Jan 21 at nine Health Ministry (MOH) hospitals by their respective Clinical Research Centres (CRC), said Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin. In announcing the matter, he said the first clinical trial conducted in Malaysia was expected to involve 3,000 volunteers. “Malaysia will be the first country outside China to conduct the trial of inactivated Covid-19 vaccine candidate made by the Institute of Medical Biology Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, China (IMBCAMS).

Sabah agrees with MCO decision, says CM

Sabah

Sabah agrees with the Federal Government’s decision to impose a two-week movement control order (MCO) for the state beginning Jan 13. Chief Minister Datuk Seri Hajiji Noor said the MCO was necessary to stop the exponential increase of Covid-19 cases in the state. He urged the public to heed directives from the authorities and observe the standard operations procedures (SOP) to stop the chain of infection. On Monday (Jan 11), a total of 374 new cases were detected bringing the Covid-19 infection cumulative total to 41,040 in Sabah. One fatality was also reported on Sunday.

Only 5 economic sectors allowed to operate during MCO — PM

National

The government has allowed five economic sectors to operate during the Movement Control Order (MCO) which will be implemented for a period of 14 days starting Wednesday, Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin (pix) said. The Prime Minister said the sectors were industrial and manufacturing, construction, services, trade and distribution, as well as plantations and commodities.

MCO, CMCO, RMCO: Dos and don'ts

National

Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin today announced tighter measures to contain the spread of Covid-19 in the country. With daily cases remaining at four-digits of late, several states and federal territories will go under the movement control order (MCO) while other states will go under the conditional movement control order (CMCO) and the recovery movement control order (RMCO). Interstate travel meanwhile has been banned nationwide beginning Wednesday, for two weeks. The following are the details of what's to come for Malaysia beginning Jan 13 until Jan 26.

Putrajaya to make businesses scramble again as Ismail Sabri says new SOPs for MCO only out tomorrow evening

National

Businesses will again be given just hours to respond to fresh standard operating procedures for the renewed movement control order, which Senior Defence Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri said he will disclose at a 5pm tomorrow. Earlier today, Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin announced that the MCO will be re-enforced in all Federal Territories, Penang, Johor, Melaka, Selangor and Sabah from 12.01am of January 13, or just seven hours from Ismail’s scheduled announcement.

National

Those with symptoms get priority for swab tests, says Health DG

National

As the increasing number of Covid-19 infections continues to overwhelm the country, not all individuals identified as close contacts may undergo tests. Health director-general Tan Sri Dr Noor Hisham said the ministry will prioritise swab tests for individuals with symptoms first. “Those who are close contacts to positive cases must undergo quarantine and be isolated. “The priority for Covid-19 swab tests is given to those who are symptomatic. “This is because the swab tests may not be able to be given to all, especially in districts or states that are burdened with a high number of cases.

Kuala Lumpur

柏丽玛文良港公寓 再有1人中招

Kuala Lumpur

隆市文良港的柏丽玛文良港公寓(Prima Setapak Condo)今日再传出1宗新冠肺炎确诊病例! 该公寓管理层今日通知住户,指过去3个月该公寓共有6宗确诊病例,其中3宗的患者目前已康复。 通告上说,管理层于今日接获最新1宗确诊病例,确诊的是该公寓B座3楼的1位住户,另外有3名密切接触者的检测报告仍未出炉。 “上述患者,与本月14日及15日确诊的病患,皆在各自单位居家隔离中。”

Putrajaya

RMCO still requires public to comply with SOPs

Putrajaya

The public is reminded to continue exercising self-discipline in carrying out preventive measures against Covid-19 as the country enters the Recovery Movement Control Order (RMCO) tomorrow. Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said business operators and customers need to maintain social distancing and good personal hygiene. He said the police, as well as the task force teams in districts, would focus on standard operating procedure compliance at business premises and public places.

Selangor

State PKR deputy chief questions move to transfer Johor Covid-19 patients for treatment in Selangor

Selangor

Johor PKR deputy chief Jimmy Puah Wee Tse today questioned why Covid-19 patients from Johor are sent to the Malaysia Agricultural Expo Park Serdang (MAEPS) in Selangor for quarantine and treatment. He said it is inconvenient for Covid-19 patients from Johor to be sent to Selangor as it very far. “I understand that starting yesterday, new (Covid-19) patients from Johor will be sent to MAEPS in Selangor to undergo a quarantine process and seek further treatment.

Johor

Enhanced MCO for Kejora Juara, Westlite workers hostels in Johor extended

Johor

The enhanced movement control order for two localities in Johor will be extended from Jan 16 to 29 as there is still a high number of active cases, says Senior Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob (pic). The localities are Kejora Juara workers hostel in Muar and Westlite workers hostel in Senai. Ismail Sabri said that the National Security Council, in a special meeting, had agreed to extend the enhanced MCO for the Kejora Juara workers' hostel as there are still 1,404 active cases there.

Perak

Ipoh old folks' home confirms Covid-19 outbreak

Perak

An old folks' home in Ipoh, Perak has been placed under lockdown after 13 people, including seven senior citizens, tested positive for Covid-19. Others who tested positive at the Anning Old Folks' Home include six staff members. The matter was confirmed by Anning Old Folks' Home chairman Marcus How Kok Peng. "As part of the exercise to prevent the spread of the virus at old folks' homes around the state, representatives from the state Health Department came to conduct screening on all of 36 senior citizens and 24 staff at our centre on Sunday (Jan 10).

P.Pinang

All parks in Penang to close as of tomorrow (Jan 15)

P.Pinang

All parks in Penang, including Botanic Gardens, will be closed as of Friday (Jan 15). This follows some confusion when the movement control order was re-imposed on Wednesday (Jan 13) and some public recreational parks in the state remained open for people to go jogging alone. State youth and sports committee chairman Soon Lip Chee said in a statement on Thursday (Jan 14) that the state will take heed of the order from National Security Council and close all public parks in the state.

Kedah

CMCO in Kulim extended another 2 weeks

Kedah

With 334 positive Covid-19 cases as of Dec 3 in Kulim, Kedah, the Conditional Movement Control Order (CMCO) imposed in the district will be extended another two weeks. Initially scheduled to end tomorrow, Senior Defense Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said it will be extended until Dec 20. He said the Health Ministry's risk assessment done on the district found the infectivity rate to still be high.

Perlis

Covid-19 screening for over 2,000 foreign workers in Perlis begins today

Perlis

The Perlis Manpower Department is conducting a special operation beginning today until February 28 to ensure all 2,562 registered foreign workers in the state undergo Covid-19 screening tests. Its director, Iskandar Jassa, said the move was taken in order to contain the pandemic among the community. “Today, we visited 11 employers and found only one of them had conducted Covid-19 screening for its workers,” he told reporters here, today. He urged all employers to do so immediately or face the consequences.

Pahang

Bentong Prison staff, family members in quarantine

Pahang

All staff of the Bentong Prison and their family members are to be quarantined until the Covid-19 screening process is done with. This is after health authorities identified the Tembok Mempaga cluster yesterday, the Pahang disaster management committee said in a statement today, adding that the move was necessary to ensure there are no transmissions within the local community.

Kelantan

Kelantan sees record 150 new daily Covid-19 infections

Kelantan

Kelantan recorded an all-time-high tally of 150 daily Covid-19 cases today. State health director Datuk Dr Zaini Hussin said Kota Baru registered the highest number of cases at 50, followed by Gua Musang (27) and Pasir Mas (21). He said the 150 cases take the cumulative tally of infections in the state to 2,133. Dr Zaini added that 79 of the 150 cases are from close contacts, 45 from clusters, while the rest were detected via screening tests.

Terengganu

Four Terengganu excos, one state rep under home quarantine pending test results

Terengganu

A total of four Terengganu state executive council members and another state assemblyman in the state are now undergoing quarantine at their homes while waiting for the results of their Covid-19 tests, a report has said. All four state executive council members are also state assemblymen in PAS-ruled Terengganu. In the report by Harian Metro last night, this was confirmed by one of those undergoing quarantine — Bukit Tunggal state assemblyman Alias Razak who is also the exco chairing the local government, housing, health and environment committee. Alias said the five of them — including himself — were close contacts to a staff member at the Wisma Darul Iman who had tested positive for Covid-19.

Melaka

Two Melaka Police Headquarters Contingent personnel test positive for Covid-19

Melaka

A total of 83 close contacts of two Melaka Police Headquarters Contingent (IPK) personnel, who tested positive for Covid-19 last week, have been identified, said Melaka Police chief Datuk Abdul Majid Mohd Ali. He said the two women personnel, a sub-inspector and a civil servant aged 30 and 53, are from the logistics division of the IPK. “The close contacts who have been identified comprised officers, personnel as well as family members and 45 of them have been ordered to undergo home quarantine.

N.Sembilan

Covid-19: 64.6 per cent drop in Rukun Tetangga activities in N.Sembilan this year

N.Sembilan

SEREMBAN: Rukun Tetangga activities in Negeri Sembilan recorded a decrease of 64.6 per cent to 606 activities from January to November, compared to 1,713 activities for the same period last year.

Labuan

13 compounded for defying Covid-19 SOPs in Labuan

Labuan

Thirteen people were detained by police for defying standard operating procedures (SOPs) of the Recovery Movement Control Order (RMCO) at food premises here last night. Acting Labuan police chief DSP Mohd Ibrahim Mohd Ghani said all of them, aged between 28 and 48 years, were compounded RM1,000 each, under the Prevention and Control of Infectious Diseases (Measures within the local Infected Areas) Regulations 2020.

Sabah

Covid-19 patients occupy nearly 80pct of Sabahs' ICU beds

Sabah

Seventy-nine per cent of intensive care unit (ICU) beds in Sabah hospitals are occupied by Covid-19 patients. State Covid-19 spokesperson Datuk Seri Masidi Manjun said despite this, the Health Ministry will do its best to accommodate and provide the best healthcare for the people. "There are two major hospitals in Kota Kinabalu, one has 36 ICU beds and the other has six beds; Tawau has 32; Sandakan 18; Lahad Datu 13; and Keningau 10. "There are 115 ICU beds in total and 91 patients are being treated at ICUs to date, with 23 of them needing ventilators," he said in a virtual press conference.

Sarawak

Don’t use longhouse as quarantine centre for Covid-19 PUI, NGO tells Sarawak govt

Sarawak

Sarawak Patriots Association (SPA) chairman Datuk John Lau Pang Heng today urged the state Disaster Management Committee (SDMC) not to designate longhouses as quarantine centres for those returning from high-risk areas in Peninsular Malaysia and Sabah. He said the Pasai Siong cluster should serve as a lesson on why longhouses should not be used as quarantine centres for persons-under-investigation (PUIs) for Covid-19. Lau said many people that he talked to had agreed that an index case in the Pasai Siong cluster should not have been allowed to be quarantined at longhouse since she had returned from Johor Baru via Kuala Lumpur, as both are states considered high Covid-19 risk areas.