The Kuala Kedah-Langkawi ferry resumed operations today after its service ceased temporarily following the implementation of a targeted enhanced movement control order (TEMCO) in the Kota Setar district due to Covid-19.
Ferry Line Ventures operating officer Ahmad Azizan Aziz said ferry operations to Langkawi was operating as usual with reduced capacity involving only four services at 8am, 10.30am, 2pm and 4.30pm.
The National Security Council has decided to implement a targeted enhanced movement control order (TEMCO) in an area located at Alor Setar, Kedah, due to the high-number of Covid-19 cases still occurring there.
Senior Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said this follows the conclusion of the administrative EMCO in the Kota Setar district which began on September 11 and ends today.
A total of 19,167 residents under the administrative enhanced movement control order (EMCO) in Kota Setar district have undergone the Covid-19 screening test from Sept 11 until yesterday.
Kedah Health director, Dr Mohd Fikri Ujang said previously, the department had estimated that about 15,000 to 20,000 residents would be screened but the number could increase if more positive cases of the outbreak were recorded.
A total of 629 families in Melur zone, Ambangan Heights, Sungai Petani, who are under the administrative enhanced movement control order (EMCO), will receive an immediate aid of RM200 for each family.
Kedah Mentri Besar Muhammad Sanusi Md Nor said the relief involving an allocation of RM125,800, was aimed at helping the residents following an extension of EMCO to September 27 in the zone.
Results of the Covid-19 test on 366,787 residents in Kota Setar, Kedah which is under the administrative enhanced movement control order (EMCO), are expected to take seven days to be out.
As such, Deputy Health Minister 1, Datuk Dr Noor Azmi Ghazali urged all residents to cooperate and go to the nearest health clinic for screening, to achieve the seven-day target.
The targeted enhanced movement control order (TEMCO) enforced in Aman Jaya, Kedah, will continue until September 10, Senior Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said today.
Ismail said when TEMCO was announced for Aman Jaya on August 28, the government had been unable to decide when it would end.
However, he said the Special Meeting of Ministers has since determined the end date.
A total of 3,216 residents in Amanjaya, Sungai Petani, which has been placed under the administrative enhanced movement control order (EMCO), were screened as of 8pm last night.
Kedah Health director Dr Mohd Fikri Ujang said a total of 22,360 households in three zones — Kenanga, Melur and Mawar — would be screened by the Ministry of Health (MOH) staff.
Some 9,502 Small and Medium Enterprise (SME) traders in Kedah were affected by the Covid-19 pandemic, the State Legislative Assembly was told today.
Kedah Youth and Sports, Tourism, Arts and Culture, Entrepreneur Development and Cooperative Committee chairman Mohd Firdaus Ahmad said the state government had implemented several initiatives to assist the traders, including the implementation of the six-month Kedah Micro Credit Loan Scheme repayment moratorium to 20 eligible entrepreneurs.
A Frenchman who was spotted with a pink wristband at the Langkawi International Airport yesterday has been ordered to undergo quarantine at the Ayer Hangat Health Clinic here.
Langkawi district police chief Supt Mohd Iqbal Ibrahim said the order was issued by the Health Ministry.
The man was sent to the clinic for quarantine and was not allowed to undergo quarantine at his rented house at Pantai Chenang, he said in a statement.
More than 100 traders and fishermen whose businesses in Kuala Sala are affected by a misunderstanding over the Covid-19 Sala cluster which emerged last Saturday.
Checks in the area found many traders had closed shop while fishermen remained on land following a significant decline in customers after news of the cluster broke.
When met, they explained that the Sala Cluster was not linked to Kuala Sala.
A LAWSUIT has been filed against the owner of Nasi Kandar Salleh by 200 residents in Napoh, Jitra at the Alor Setar High Court today.
They are claiming RM1.5 million in damages from the restaurant's owner Nezar Mohamed Shabur Batcha, 57, for causing the Covid-19 Sivagangga cluster.
The lawsuit was filed by Kedah Consumers' Association (CAKE) on behalf of the residents in Napoh.
A school in Kulim, Kedah has been ordered to close after three students and one teacher tested positive for Covid-19, Health director-general Tan Sri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah confirmed today.
He said the infections in the school had been linked to the Tawar cluster, which saw another two new cases today.
“We have closed down the school and then we have actually screened and tested the students and also sanitisation has been done in that location. We have taken all the positive action in connection with the school.
Residents and traders in Napoh are planning to file a RM1 million lawsuit against the owner of Nasi Kandar Salleh next week as they attempt to seek for damages sustained following the Sivagangga Covid-19 cluster.
The cluster's index case, the eatery's owner, was charged in court this week for breaking home quarantine.
Kedah Consumers' Association (CAKE) Mohamad Yusrizal Yusoff said the lawsuit will be filed after advice from lawyers in a bid to serve as a lesson for everyone to not take the home quarantine order for granted.
A married couple left their village in Kedah placed under the targeted enhanced movement control order (TEMCO) to come to this town but turned back half way ― only to be arrested by the police when they got home.
The couple, in their 50s, left Kampung Ulu in Padang Sanai near here on a motorcycle at about 5.30pm on August 5 via a rat trail (smugglers’ route) after removing their Covid-19 wristbands, Padang Terap District Police chief DSP Mulkiaman Manzar said today.
He said they were not at home when staff of the Padang Terap Health Office called on their home as part of the TEMCO inspection.
OVER the last couple of months, Kedah had been a green zone and its residents have been able to move about freely, always observing the Health Ministry's standard operating procedures — wearing face masks and keeping a physical distance.
Overnight, things changed.
It was all due to a returnee from Sivagangga, India, who had allegedly disobeyed orders to quarantine himself in his house and went out to conduct his business at a restaurant in Napoh, Kedah.
Six new positive Covid-19 cases were recorded in the Kedah's Persons Under Investigation (PUI) Sivagangga Cluster, bringing the statistics to a total of 30 people infected with the virus as of noon today.
Health director-general Datuk Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said the six cases were discovered today following active case detection in the cluster linked to a nasi kandar restaurant in Napoh, Kedah.
"One of the six new cases, which is Case 9,032, is from Kulim and a close contact to a family member who had gone to the nasi kandar shop involved in this cluster.
The Ministry of Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs (KPDNHEP) will monitor the availability of basic necessities in the four mukim in Kedah which are under the administrative enhanced movement control order (EMCO), said Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob.
He said this was to ensure there was no shortage of any items, especially food, in the affected areas.
Kulim folks on social media have been frantically sharing various unverified information since last night pertaining to a potential Covid-19 positive case recorded in the district.
Checks by the New Straits Times with a legitimate source confirmed that a factory worker in Kulim had infact tested positive for the novel coronavirus.
Kedahans are calling for stern action against those flouting mandatory quarantines as the state plunges deeper into a second wave of the Covid-19 outbreak.
Kedah, one of the few states to have achieved green zone status only weeks ago, now has 114 cases, with 11 discovered within the past 72 hours. The state had gone through 60 days without any reported infections until last month.
The nasi kandar shop at the centre of the Persons Under Investigation (PUI) Sivagangga Cluster in Kedah was found to have not used the Mysejahtera application or adopt any form of manual visitors' registration.
It had also failed to take the body temperatures of patrons prior to allowing entry, Health director-general Datuk Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah revealed today.
Five schools in Kubang Pasu and Padang Terap in Kedah, which are linked to the Sivagangga Covid-19 cluster, were ordered to close today.
The schools are SMK Hosba; SMK Megat Dewa; SK Hosba; SK Megat Dewa; and SK Kubang Palas.
Checks at Kubang Pasu found that residents were conducting business as usual; while in Napoh, it was rather quiet, with eateries and the rural community centre, previously known as RTC Napoh, not in operation.
Four sub-districts in Kubang Pasu and Padang Terap, Kedah will be placed under the Targeted Enhanced Movement Control Order (TEMCO) starting from today (Aug 3) until Aug 30th.
Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said the TEMCO was enforced after 11 Covid-19 cases were recorded from the Sivagangga cluster in Kedah involving the four sub-districts.
Police have warned that they would not hesitate to throw the book on individuals found to be spreading Covid-19 fake news, which in turn causes panic among the people.
Kedah's Commercial Crime Investigation Department (JSJK) deputy chief Deputy Superintendent Mohd Norfadzly Mohd Hashim said they will take action based on reports lodged with them.
He said thus far they had not received any official reports but have knowledge of suspicious and unconfirmed reports posted on Facebook.
The Government is monitoring the Covid-19 situation in Kubang Pasu district, Kedah, before taking other further action in the area.
Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said currently, 73 Community Development Department (Kemas)-run kindergartens and day care centres in the district have been ordered to shut down for 14 days as preliminary measures to contain Covid-19.
A permanent resident (PR) here who returned from India on July 13 via the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) is the index case to a new cluster in Kedah named the PUI Sivagangga cluster.
Screening done at the airport saw the PR holder testing negative for Covid-19, however he was instructed to undergo the mandatory 14-day home quarantine, as per the standard requirement.
The Health Ministry announced today that the PR holder was found to have violated the home quarantine order.
Kedah is the third and latest state in the country to achieve the green zone status, after Kota Setar, Kuala Muda, and Kubang Pasu were all cleared of active Covid-19 cases as of noon yesterday.
Infographics released by the Health Ministry (MoH) revealed how the four active cases recorded as of Tuesday had recovered, pushing Kedah among Perlis and Kelantan as the latest states to be free of active Covid-19 cases.
No deaths were recorded as of noon yesterday.
A total of 952 couples in Kedah who have been given the green light to get married during the movement control order (MCO) are allowed to do so at the District Religious Offices with minimal attendance.Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Mukhriz Mahathir said only marriage solemnisation (akad nikah) were allowed and no other ceremony could be held, while the date and time of the solemnisation would be determined by the Kedah State Islamic Religious Affairs Department.
Kedah is allowing three men — the imam, bilal and siak of mosques — to perform congregational prayers (solat berjemaah) during the movement control order (MCO) period after getting the green light from Sultan Sallehuddin Sultan Badlishah.
Astro Awani reported Kedah Mufti Datuk Sheikh Fadzil Awang as saying, however, that the prayers are only limited to three people for each of the fardhu prayers and will not encompass smaller surau and other prayer premises in the state.