The Labuan Financial Park Complex mall has been temporarily closed beginning today, after several workers there tested positive for COVID-19.
Labuan Health Department director Dr Ismuni Bohari said the closure, for a minimum of three days, is to allow complete sanitisation work to be done on all premises on levels one and two of the mall.
"We have given a directive for the closure beginning today as several individuals working in the complex tested positive a couple of days ago," he told Bernama today.
Beginning today, Labuan health personnel have shifted their focus in the Covid-19 active case detection, from the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)-sanctioned settlements to the congested rented rooms and houses in the shoplot buildings downtown.
The integrated active case detection, in collaboration with Labuan police and the Immigration Department, is targeted at Covid-19 positive patients who may be staying there.
Labuan is on the verge of recovery from the Covid-19 outbeak, having flattened the curve in the last two days and the trend is expected to continue until next week.
Labuan Health Department director, Dr Ismuni Bohari (pix) said the spread of the virus in the local community was well-controlled but the challenge was dealing with the inflow of travellers to the island.
Malaysia Airport Holdings Berhad (MAHB) Labuan has heightened preventive measures at its premises following the increase in Covid-19 positive cases detected through its arrival hall.
The measures include vigilant cleaning and sanitising of all its facilities at the buildings for the safety of passengers.
At least 30 per cent of the Filipino refugees and residents in the water squatter settlement of Kg Muslim, here, will get tested for Covid-19, following emergence of the new Titian Cluster there on Friday.
Labuan Health Department director, Dr Ismuni Bohari said several groups of healthcare personnel had been mobilised to the United Nations High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR)-sanctioned settlement on a daily basis to get as many (residents) as they could to undergo the test.
Putrajaya today announced Labuan will continue to be placed under a conditional movement control order (CMCO) from October 31 until November 13 as the Covid-19 cases in the state is still on the rise.
Senior Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said that the decision was made upon the Ministry of Health's (MOH) advice during their daily Nasional Security Council (NSC) meeting today.
The Labuan Health Department has set up a temporary Covid-19 hospital for low-risk patients which will begin operations this weekend.
Its director Dr Ismuni Bohari said the facility would have 150 beds and this would help ease congestion at Labuan Hospital.
"We are aggressively doing targeted screening, so we are expecting a surge of 20 to 30 cases per day in the next couple of days and continuing into next week.
The Enhanced Movement Control Order (EMCO) will be imposed on Kampung Saguking Laut and Kampung Sebur Baru in Labuan, from Oct 21 to Nov 3.
Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said 8,062 residents of the two villages will be affected.
He said the government decided to implement the EMCO to prevent the movement of people in and out of the villages, which will help health authorities contain the Covid-19 outbreak in the areas.
At least 7,000 samples are to be taken during two weeks of Covid-19 targeted screening on Labuan residents, following a spike in cases on the island.
Priority in the screening, which commenced last week, is given to close contacts of confirmed or probable Covid-19 patients and those residing in the cluster and high-risk areas.
Labuan Health Department director, Dr Ismuni Bohari said: “The surge in Covid-19 cases in the next several days is rather expected, in view of the targeted screening on the population here.
The Bataras Hypermarket and two supermarkets, namely the Emporium and Utama Jaya, have been ordered to close temporarily after a customer who tested positive for Covid-19 patronised the premises recently.
Labuan Health Department director Dr Ismuni Bohari said the three-day closure notice issued this morning by the department was to facilitate sanitation works.
The Labuan Health Department is identifying densely populated communities on the island for unrecorded Covid-19 positive cases following the emergence of the Saguking cluster.
The Saguking cluster emerged on Thursday (Oct 15) with five new cases bringing the total number of active clusters on the duty-free-island, here, to three as of Friday.
All 26 secondary and primary schools here are operating as usual amid the low turnout of students and teachers.
Labuan Education director, Khaziyati Osman said there had been no directive thus far from the Ministry of Education (MOE) to temporarily close the schools in view of the increasing Covid-19 cases here.
Ninety-five passengers on the AirAsia flight AK5172 Kuala Lumpur-Labuan on Oct 6 are urged to get tested for Covid-19 immediately after one passenger tested positive for the viral infection last Sunday.
Labuan Health Department director, Dr Ismuni Bohari said no one on the 7.20am flight should skip the test.
Ismuni also urged guests at a wedding ceremony on Oct 3 at the Labuan Financial Park Convention Hall, who have yet to be tested, to undergo the test as one of the invitees had tested positive.
Two men and two women have been slapped with a compound of RM1,000 each for not wearing face masks in public places in the duty-free-island.
They were found to have violated the Covid-19 standard operating procedures (SOPs) and guidelines under the Prevention and Control of Infectious Diseases Act 1988 (Act 342).
Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan (SMK) Mutiara here has been temporarily closed for sanitisation after one of its students tested positive for Covid-19, said Labuan Health Department director Dr Ismuni Bohari.
“The student lives in a construction ‘kongsi’ house (squatter house) with 40 over people, and he and seven other individuals who live there tested positive.
Those travelling from here to mainland Sabah must first obtain police permission under the inter-district movement ban which comes into effect throughout Sabah from tomorrow (Oct 3) until Oct 16.
Labuan police chief Supt. Muhamad Farid Ahmad said the public especially locals were required to notify the police stations and submit an application for a written approval before travelling.
Five individuals wearing Covid-19 quarantine wristbands, two of them foreign women, were arrested overnight here for breaching their 14-day home quarantine order.
Labuan police chief Supt. Muhamad Farid Ahmad said the first arrest involved a 50-year-old manager of a private company from mainland Sabah, who was found to have entered a government agency’s premises here at about 9.30am on Tuesday.
Thousands of Sabahans returning to the island after voting in the Sabah election on Saturday are delayed getting home due to the mandatory Covid-19 swab tests they were subjected to upon arrival at the airport and two ferry terminals.
This situation began last Sunday and is expected to continue until the coming weekend as voters who reside and work in Labuan return home.
Travellers from certain parts of Sabah will be subjected to stricter health checks on entering Labuan because of the surge in Covid-19 cases on mainland Sabah, said Labuan Health Department director Dr Ismuni Bohari.
He said depending on their travel history, those who had been away from Labuan for more than three days might be required to undergo a swab test at the Labuan Airport and ferry terminal.
The Labuan Health Department is leaving no stone unturned in ensuring that the over 2,000 new students coming to the Labuan Matriculation College here are free from Covid-19.
Its director, Dr Ismuni Bohari, said the team from the department will screen the students just like it does all other passengers coming to the island via ferries and through the airport.
The Sabah government has allowed all passenger boats and ferries from Labuan to Menumbok on the mainland to resume operations at full capacity with immediate effect.
In a statement on Monday (July 13), Chief Minister Datuk Seri Mohd Shafie Apdal said the state's decision followed the lead of the Federal Government on June 11.
All 153 varsity students who have been quarantined in two centres here since last week but who tested negative for Covid-19 have been allowed to return home, starting Tuesday (May 19).
They comprised 111 students who had just returned from their campuses in the peninsula, while 42 others were from campuses in Sarawak.
"We visited them this morning at the quarantine centres. As they all have tested negative for Covid-19, we (will) allow them to return home and continue with self-quarantine (for another week).
Residents in Labuan can report to the nearest police station if they see more than 20 people are gathered “next door” on the first day of the Hari Raya Aidilfitri celebrations, said Labuan Police chief Supt Muhamad Farid Ahmad. He said although there would be no roadblocks during the festive period, strict monitoring would be carried out to ensure that the public complied with the standard operating procedures (SOP) set by the National Security Council (NSC) to curb the spread of Covid-19.
The last batch of 312 students from Universiti Malaysia Sabah Labuan, International Campus (UMSKAL) was flown back to the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) today after being stranded here since the start of the movement control order (MCO) on March 18.
The students were divided into two groups to board two chartered Malaysia Airlines flights at 3.20pm and 4.05pm respectively to return to their hometowns in the Peninsula.
The Federal Territory of Labuan becomes the fifth Covid-19 green zone in the country after recording zero or no active case, as of 12pm yesterday.
Besides Labuan, Perlis, Kedah, Kelantan and Perak are also listed as green zones, based on today’s infographics from the Health Ministry (MOH)’s Crisis Preparedness and Response Centre (CPRC).
Labuan police have reduced the number of roadblocks from three to only one beginning Monday in line with the government’s conditional movement control order (CMCO).
Labuan police chief Supt. Muhamad Farid Ahmad said following the provisions in the CMCO compared to the previous movement control order (MCO), the focus was now on social distancing. He said the existing number of military personnel will continue to be with the police in enforcing social distancing in public places including in eateries, supermarkets and hypermarkets, wet markets, and sports and recreational spots.
A total of 25 students of the Labuan Matriculation College (LMC) who were stuck on campus were denied permission to exit the duty-free island to return to their hometown in Limbang, Sarawak, after failing to obey the stranded higher education students movement standard operating procedure (SOP).
Sub-zones 1 and 2 of Labuan, comprising 70 per cent of the total number of villages and residential areas on the island, have been declared as Covid-19 green zones.
Sub-zone 1 is in the town centre and comprises water villages like Kg Patau-Patau 1 and 2, Kg Gersik/Saguking, Kg Batu Arang, Kg Sg Keling, Jalan OKK Abdullah, Jalan Tun Mustapha and Kg Rancha-Rancha. It has been declared a green zone after six active cases there recovered.