Malaysia Covid-19 Latest News

State Health Dept denies viral WhatsApp message of Melaka Sentral Covid-19 case

Melaka

The Melaka Health Department has denied a viral WhatsApp message claiming that foreign nationals who are Covid-19 positive were at the Melaka Sentral bus terminal on Friday (July 24). "The voice recordings and images that went viral on WhatsApp were taken at random by unknown individuals, however, the Melaka Health Department would like to clarify that the content of the voice recording involved is not true," said State Health director Dr Ismail Ali in a statement on Saturday (July 24)

Melaka to lift dining-in restriction tomorrow

Melaka

Restaurateurs and hoteliers here are allowed to provide dining in starting tomorrow. Chief Minister Datuk Sulaiman Md Ali said the decision followed the significant reduction in the number of Covid-19 cases in Melaka over the past few weeks. He said the decision was also a “gift” to restaurateurs and hoteliers in conjunction with the swearing-in of the new Yang di-Pertua Negeri.Tan Sri Mohd Ali Rustam (pic) will take the oath as the seventh Yang di-Pertua Negeri tomorrow.

Taking pictures of flowers a pretty costly affair

Melaka

An outing to take pictures of blooming water hyacinths at a flood retention pond has landed 38 locals in trouble. They had made the trip to the pond in Taman Semabok Perdana here to take pictures of the purple “pokok keladi bunting”, said Melaka Tengah OCPD Asst Comm Afzanizar Ahmad said All 38 individuals were brought in to the Melaka Tengah police headquarters here at noon yesterday.

Melaka to allow Friday prayers in mosques from May 29, says mufti

Melaka

Friday prayers in mosques in Melaka will be allowed from May 29 but with conditions, Melaka Mufti Datuk Abdul Halim Tawil said today. The decision on the matter was reached at a special meeting of the Melaka Fatwa (Edict) Committee yesterday, he said. Abdul Halim said only 40 worshippers will be allowed for the Friday prayers but added that this will be subject to developments and the consideration of the National Security Council.

Jonker Walk on last legs with ongoing MCO, says local councillor

Melaka

The iconic Jonker Street may not survive much longer without domestic tourism says a Melaka local councillor. Melaka Historic City Council (MBMB) councillor Tan Chin Gwan said he is afraid that businesses at the tourism hotspot would not be able to sustain until June if there is no plan in place to revive the street. "Almost a dozen business entities at Jonker Walk had been forced to close down as the owners were unable to sustain the monthly rentals as well as salaries for their workers.

Melaka govt allows hawkers, small traders to operate within housing areas

Melaka

Many coffee shops and eateries in the city and surrounding areas are not keen to reopen their business for dine-in. In the Bundusan area, business owners also feel that business might not necessarily bounce back even if they reopen for dine-in.

Melaka to allow four mosque officials to perform congregational Tarawih prayers

Melaka

Only four mosques officials are allowed to perform Tarawih prayers in congregation at all mosques in the state beginning today. Chief Minister Datuk Sulaiman Md Ali, however said, the four officials ― mosque chairman, imam, bilal and siak ― must adhere to the Standard Operating Procedure set by the Health Ministry.

Thanks to MCO, Sungai Melaka is green and clean

Melaka

Sungai Melaka has become the talk of the town for its 'greener' and cleaner water during the movement control order (MCO) period. A check by Bernama at several locations, including near the Stadthuys building and Jonker Road, showed that the river had not been this clean for a long time. Before the MCO to curb the spread of Covid-19 was implemented on March 18, Sungai Melaka's water was murky and with a teh tarik-like colour.

Cops probing Melaka exco member for violating MCO in distributing food

Melaka

A Melaka exco member has found himself in trouble for distributing food aid without adhering to procedures during the movement control order (MCO) period. The Melaka Health Department lodged a police report against him for organising the event without conforming to MCO requirements. The report was lodged a few days ago. State police chief Deputy Comm Datuk Mat Kasim Karim (pic) confirmed on Thursday (April 16) that a report had been made by the department.

Buddhist temple cancels centenary celebration

Melaka

The Seck Kia Eenh (SKE) Buddhist Temple is cancelling its 100th-year celebration in wake of the Covid-19 pandemic. SKE was founded in 1920 by a group of Straits-born Buddhists and the name means Lord Buddha’s monastery. The temple's honorary secretary Baba Chan Leong Hin said the centennial celebration and state-level Wesak Eve procession are very important events for SKE.

The beat goes on: Melaka busker moves online during MCO

Melaka

Due to the Movement Control Order, famed busker Adnan Mat Som has moved from the streets to social media to continue entertaining his fans. Adnan, fondly known as “Otaiz Buskers”, has garnered a wide following thanks to his slick skills and ability to sing in 15 different languages. He said about 3,300 people tuned in to catch his recent online performance, which also garnered over 500 likes and comments.

Central Malacca added to red zones totalling 26

Melaka

The Central Malacca is the latest to be categorised as a Covid-19 red zone, bringing the total number of red zones nationwide to 26, as of noon yesterday, according to the Health Ministry’s Crisis Preparedness and Response Centre (CPRC). Based on CPRC infographics published on the ministry’s social media sites today, 44 cases of Covid-19 have been recorded in Central Malacca.

Melaka govt giving RM600 aid to 373 trishaw riders

Melaka

The state government here has given financial assistance of RM600 to 373 trishaw riders affected by the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic, says Chief Minister Datuk Sulaiman Md Ali. He said on Wednesday (April 1) that RM223,800 has been allocated for the one-off payments, and added that the allocation was channelled to the Tourism Trust Fund on March 25 under the stimulus package announced by the Federal Government.

Disinfection: Four Melaka local authorities targeting 1,233 areas

Melaka

The Melaka state government is targeting to disinfect 1,233 sites, particularly public areas, in efforts to contain the Covid-19 infection, Datuk Seri Abdul Ghafaar Atan said. The State Housing, Local Government, Environment Committee chairman said of the number, the Melaka Historic City Council (MBMB) aims to take on 460 spots, Hang Tuah Jaya Municipal Council (MPHTJ) (256), Alor Gajah Municipal Council (MPAG) (286) and Jasin Municipal Council (MPJ) (231).

Melaka to open another Covid-19 quarantine centre

Melaka

The Melaka government is opening another Covid-19 quarantine centre at Tiang Dua in Jasin here to house people under investigation (PUI). The current quarantine centre – the Public Works Department's training complex at Alor Gajah – has reached its maximum capacity of 173 PUIs. Melaka Chief Minister Datuk Sulaiman Md Ali said the new centre managed by the state Road Transport Department is expected to open on Tuesday (March 31).

Melaka receives RM1.25 million for State COVID-19 Fund today

Melaka

The Melaka government today received more than RM1.25 million in cash and goods from several corporate companies for the State COVID-19 Fund.

Melaka Historic City Council employee tests positive for Covid-19

Melaka

The Melaka Historic City Council (MBMB) has confirmed that an employee with its engineering unit has tested positive for Covid-19. Speaking to the press on Wednesday (March 25), Mayor Datuk Mansor Sudin said that the employee is 54 and from Jasin. Mansor added that the employee had admitted to attending the the tabligh gathering and said that he was placed as a case from the cluster by the Health Ministry.

Clerk loses RM54k in online fask mask scam in Melaka

Melaka

A 37-year-old clerk lost RM54,000 in a face-mask scam online on March 15. Alor Gajah OCPD Supt Arshad Abu said the clerk had corresponded with a woman on WhatsApp to order 3,364 boxes of face masks on that date. "The fraudster asked the woman to deposit the amount into a bank account provided by her," he said Tuesday (March 24).

Private hospital in Melaka shuts down for two days after patient failed to disclose Covid-19 contact

Melaka

A private hospital here has temporarily shut down for two days because one of its patients failed to disclose his contact with a Covid-19 positive colleague from Kuala Lumpur when seeking treatment. Oriental Straits Medical Centre (OMSMC) said it was forced to take precautionary measures and would temporarily close on Tuesday (March 24) and Wednesday(March 25) to carry out full sanitisation.

Melaka

A patient who was treated for pneumonia at the Oriental Melaka Straits Medical Centre (OMSMC) here admitted after treatment that he had been in contact with a colleague who had tested for Covid-19. The hospital, in a statement on late Saturday (March 21), said the patient was initially treated as a pneumonia patient.

Melaka

Melaka is restricting the operating hours of all essential businesses that may continue operating during movement control order (MCO).The state joined others in further tightening restrictions to discourage public movement. Stand-alone convenience stores in the state may now open only between 7am and 7pm while those attached to petrol stations may run from 6am to 8pm.

Melaka

The Melaka government is limiting the operations hours of restaurants, including drive-throughs, in the wake of Covid-19. The order is also covers 24-hours convenience outlets in the state.

Melaka

The Melaka government yesterday announced eight incentives involving an allocation of RM6.53 million to help those affected by Covid-19.