Malaysia Covid-19 Latest News

Only 1.8pc of new Covid-19 cases from categories three to five

National

Malaysia today recorded 18,762 new Covid-19 cases but only 1.8 per cent or 330 cases were from categories three, four and five, said Health Minister Khairy Jamaluddin. He said the remaining 18,432 cases or 98.2 per cent were from categories one and two. Covid-19 is a five-category disease, with category five being the most severe. He said out of the overall new cases, 46 per cent or 8,640 cases involved those who had no history of vaccination, 28.9 per cent or 5,416 cases had received complete vaccination and 25.1 per cent or 4,706 cases were partially vaccinated.

Regular testing mooted for those who refuse vaccines

National

Those who refuse the Covid-19 vaccines may have to undergo regular testing, says Khairy Jamaluddin (pic). "Those who refuse to get vaccinated will have to undergo a certain schedule or regime of testing that they have to adhere to. "They may have to take a rapid test. If it is positive, then they have to do a PCR test. "Of course, I would prefer that people opt to be vaccinated," said the Health Minister. He said this could help address the issue of individuals who are against Covid-19 vaccinations.

ew feature on MySejahtera to indicate medical reasons for people not vaccinated

National

MySejahtera will come up with a feature to indicate medical reasons for those who cannot be vaccinated or complete their vaccination. Health Minister Khairy Jamaluddin said this amid growing concerns about the group, especially on the status of their job security, and others. "As long as they have a doctor's confirmation that they cannot be vaccinated or complete their vaccinations for medical reasons, there will be a feature under MySejahtera that indicates this. "Therefore, we will come up with the SOP applicable to them," he said at this press conference after taking on the portfolio in Putrajaya today.

18,762 new cases bring total to 1,765,016

National

Malaysia recorded 18,762 new Covid-19 cases on Wednesday (Sept 1), bringing the cumulative total to 1,765,016. Selangor recorded the highest number of cases at 3,711, followed by Sabah (2,430) and Sarawak (2,414).

Health expert warns those fully vaccinated to remain vigilant

National

Malaysians, especially those who have been fully vaccinated, should not be complacent and neglect the standard operating procedure (SOP) and self-discipline so as to curb the spread of Covid-19. This is crucial as the disease is not only spreading but has spawned several other more dangerous mutations, especially the Delta variant that has been classified by the World Health Organisation (WHO) as a variant of concern (VOC). Malaysian Public Health Physicians Association president Datuk Dr Zainal Ariffin Omar said Malaysians should understand and accept that even though there were vaccines to protect them from the virus, the Delta variant was still very much a healthcare threat not only in the country but globally.

EMCO in four localities in Pahang, Sabah from Sept 2, says NSC

National

Four localities in Pahang and Sabah, will be placed under the enhanced movement control order (EMCO) from September 2 to September 15, said the National Security Council (MKN) director-general Datuk Rodzi Md Saad. He said the localities in Pahang involved Kampung Badong Dalam and Kampung Permatang Durian in the Bebar sub-district of the Pekan district, while in Sabah it involved Kampung Narawang and Kampung Mininsalu Baru (Pasir Putih) in Ranau. “Meanwhile, the EMCO in Taman Ria Height in Tawau, Sabah, which is scheduled to end tomorrow, will be extended until September 15,” he said in a statement on the implementation of the EMCO today.

20,897 new cases bring total to 1,746,254

National

Malaysia recorded 20,897 new Covid-19 cases on Tuesday (Aug 31), bringing the cumulative total to 1,746,254. Selangor recorded the highest number of cases at 4,371, followed by Sabah (2,594) and Sarawak (2,285).

2.1% or 399 new Covid-19 cases under Category 3, 4 and 5

National

A total of 399 cases or 2.1% out of the 19,268 new Covid-19 cases reported on Monday (Aug 30) were in Category 3, 4 and 5, says Tan Sri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah. The Health director-general said the remaining 18,869 cases or 97.9% were in Category 1 and 2. Cumulatively, 14,664 cases or 76.1% of the total cases were of those who have not been vaccinated or yet to be fully vaccinated. Dr Noor Hisham said 1,033 patients were in the intensive care unit with 476 of them requiring respiratory support.

Covid-19 cases dip below 20,000 mark

National

Covid-19 cases in the country dipped below the 20,000 mark, with 19,269 new infections reported in the last 24 hours. This is after six days of registering over 20,000 fresh infections. Health director-general Tan Sri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said the cumulative figure since the pandemic began rose to 1,725,357 infections. Selangor again recorded the highest number of cases but went below the 4,000 mark with 3,567 followed by Sabah with 2,310 and Johor at 2,265.

EMCO in three areas in Sabah and Johor from Tuesday

National

Three localities in Sabah and Johor will be placed under a 14-day Enhanced Movement Control Order (EMCO) from Aug 31 to Sept 13 to contain the spread of Covid-19. National Security Council director-general Datuk Rodzi Md Saad, in a statement today said the decision was reached after reviewing the Health Ministry's risk assessment and Covid-19 trend. The affected areas in Sabah are Kampung Bukit Gemuk, Tawau and Kampung Nasakot, Ranau. Meanwhile in Johor, the affected area is Kampung Nelayan Benut in Pontian. Rodzi also said the same set of EMCO standard operating procedures would be applied to these areas.

2.2% from total new cases on Sunday (Aug 29) comprise patients in categories three, four and five

National

A total of 455 cases or 2.2% out of the 20,579 new cases on Sunday (Aug 29) were in category three, four and five, says Tan Sri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah. The Health director-general said the remaining 20,124 cases comprised cases in categories one and two. Overall, 15,651 cases (76.1%) reported involved those who have not been vaccinated or received incomplete vaccination. He said there were 20,845 recovery cases today bringing total recoveries to 1,422,005, while active cases now totalled 267,997.

PM tells factory owners in Malaysia to set up own Covid-19 vaccination centres at premises

National

Prime Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob today stressed that all factory owners who employ foreign workers should set up their own vaccination centre (PPV) at their premises. Factories should contribute to economic growth and not be the centre for the spread of the Covid-19 outbreak, he said in a post on his Facebook page today. “I have also discussed with Health Ministry’s secretary-general and Health director-general to ensure that foreign workers no longer have to queue and cause congestion at vaccination centres instead just get vaccinated at their workplace,” he said.