Malaysia Covid-19 Latest News

Four Covid-19 cases detected after screenings of those leaving for Langkawi

P.Pinang

Four Covid-19 cases were discovered following screening exercises carried out at air and sea entry points to Langkawi. Health director-general Tan Sri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said the four were among 3,454 individuals who were screened before leaving for Langkawi. One case each was detected at the Penang and Sultan Abdul Aziz Airport in Subang. “Two positive cases were discovered at the Kuala Perlis jetty,” he said in his tweet on Friday (Sept 17).

No compound notices issued on island resort’s first day of reopening

P.Pinang

Not a single compound notice was issued here on Thursday (Sept 16), the first day this island resort reopened under the travel bubble scheme, says the police. Langkawi OCPD Asst Comm Shariman Ashari said although no compound notices were issued, police would continue monitoring standard operating procedure (SOP) compliance among locals and tourists alike. “So far, SOP compliance among the public at tourist attractions has been good,” he said during a SOP compliance operation at the popular Pantai Cenang area.

All agencies must report activities to Langkawi task force, says Dr Noor Hisham

P.Pinang

All government and private sector agencies, statutory bodies and associations in Langkawi given the role and responsibility of ensuring the success of the pioneer tourism bubble project on the resort island have to report their activities to the Langkawi Task Force. Health director-general Tan Sri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah (pic) said Langkawi district officer Saiful Anwar Azmi had agreed to head the Langkawi Task Force in implementing the project. "Several performance indicators for health have been proposed and will be fine-tuned at the committee level," he said on social media on Sunday (Sept 12).

Strict monitoring by police to ensure tourists comply with SOP in Langkawi

P.Pinang

Police will be stricter with monitoring to ensure tourists comply with standard operating procedures (SOP) set for the tourism bubble on the resort island of LAngkawi from Thursday (Sept 16). Deputy Inspector-General of Police Datuk Seri Mazlan Lazim said the Langkawi district police headquarters would mobilise and may increase personnel to ensure SOP compliance checks were conducted more effectively. "Although there will be a tourism bubble in place, all visitors must comply with every SOP set.... Those who wish to come to Langkawi need to have police approval as well.

Malaysia Aviation Group offers low fares, holiday packages in support of Langkawi travel bubble

P.Pinang

Leading up to the opening of Langkawi on Malaysia Day (September 16), subsidiaries of the Malaysia Aviation Group (MAG) — Malaysia Airlines, Firefly and MHholidays — are offering low fares and travel packages for immediate booking until September 30 for travel between September 16 and October 31, 2021. In a statement today, the group said fully-vaccinated customers can kick start their long-awaited holiday with Malaysia Airlines’ Economy Lite fare from RM89 for all-in one-way and enjoy the perks of travelling full service with, among others, a seven-kilogramme cabin baggage allowance, complimentary snacks, meals and beverages. “Customers looking for maximum ease of travel can also opt for the Economy Flex fare for additional benefits including unlimited date changes with no fees incurred, free refunds without a fee, Go Show flexibility, priority check-in, boarding, and check-in baggage allowance of 35kg,” it said.

Selangor hands over 20,000 doses of Covid-19 vaccine to Penang

P.Pinang

The Selangor government today contributed 20,000 doses of the Covid-19 vaccine to Penang in an effort to vaccinate the rest of the population on the island state. Penang Chief Minister Chow Kon Yeow thanked Selangor for helping it to speed up the vaccination rate in an effort to break the chain of infection. “In the spirit of the National Day, the Selangor government has graciously donated 20,000 doses of vaccine to the Penang government for free and this is also a sign of solidarity between the people of Selangor and the state in the fight against Covid-19.

Penang wants 1.2 million vaccine doses for August to speed up NIP

P.Pinang

Penang has requested for 1.2 million Covid-19 vaccine doses this month to speed up the ongoing National Immunisation Programme (NIP). Chief Minister Chow Kon Yeow said they were informed during the Covid-19 Immunisation Task Force (CITF) meeting chaired by Science, Technology and Innovation Minister Khairy Jamaluddin yesterday that it would receive 707,220 vaccine doses this month.

Bukit Mertajam market now closed until Aug 11 after five Covid-19 cases detected

P.Pinang

The Seberang Perai City Council (MBSP) has ordered the Bukit Mertajam Market to be closed from August 5 to 11 after five Covid-19 cases were detected among traders and workers. MBSP Mayor Datuk Rozali Mohamud said two traders and three workers were positive for Covid-19 as of today. “All traders in the market have been ordered to stop operations for seven days from August 5 onwards or until informed otherwise,” he said in a statement today.

Bukit Mertajam Hospital converted into Covid-19 hybrid hospital, says Dr Noor Hisham

P.Pinang

The Bukit Mertajam Hospital (HBM) has been converted into a Hybrid Covid-19 Hospital and took its first Covid-19 patient this morning. Health director-general Tan Sri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah in a post on his official Facebook page said that in view of the rising number of Covid-19 cases in Penang, the Penang Health Department acted swiftly within six days of careful planning and preparation to accommodate Covid-19 patients at the hospital. “There will be 72 beds with pipe-in oxygen, dedicated for Covid-19 patients. It is expandable to 120 beds when demand increases. “It will also be able to take in haemodialysis patients infected with Covid-19, as all wards are equipped with bedside haemodialysis facilities,” he said.

Penang police apologises, says probing gathering outside mosque in Juru to perform Aidiladha prayers

P.Pinang

Police have launched a probe into an alleged breach of Covid-19 SOPs by a crowd of around 200 people who were seen congregating outside a surau in Juru, Penang to fulfill Aidiladha prayers, Penang Police Chief Datuk Mohd Shuhaily Mohd Zain said today. In a report by Harian Metro, Mohd Shuhaily apologised for failing to stop the gathering from happening, which he affirmed had taken place outside a surau in Taman Pelangi. He was quoted saying initial investigations showed the crowd, mostly comprising of non-locals, decided to gather outside on the streets after they were denied entry into the surau which had a limit of 100 people in order to maintain physical distancing.

Swab tests hit 10% of goal

P.Pinang

PENANG has shifted into fifth gear for its mass Covid-19 screening programme (PSC-19), with almost 4,000 people screened under the programme so far. About 600 people were tested at the Penang Island City Council (MBPP) market complex in Jalan Rajawali, Bayan Lepas, yesterday. The on-site screening was held some 300m away from Pekan Bayan Lepas, which was under a 14-day enhanced movement control order (MCO) last month.

The 509 new Covid-19 cases in Penang are from close contacts and existing clusters, says Chow

P.Pinang

The 509 new Covid-19 cases recorded in Penang were mostly from screening of existing clusters and close contacts and screening of those with symptoms, said Penang Chief Minister Chow Kon Yeow. He stressed that there were no new clusters detected in Penang despite the high number of new cases in the state. “A total 241 of the cases are Malaysians while 268 are foreigners,” he said.