All Penang eateries will be allowed to open for dine-in service from May 18 onwards, said Penang Chief Minister Chow Kon Yeow.
He said the state exco met on May 13 and decided to allow dine-in at all food and beverage premises in the state.
“The local authorities together with the local government exco and state health department will need to issue guidelines needed for this second phase in allowing dine-in services,” he said in his Facebook message today.
PENANG has begun mass Covid-19 screening of foreign workers, with a target of screening all the 51,208 registered ones within a month.
State local government committee chairman Jagdeep Singh Deo said the government was serious in getting all the 14,436 workers from the construction industry and 36,772 workers from the manufacturing industry screened.
Penang has a total 51,208 foreign workers in factories and on construction sites who will need to undergo Covid-19 screening, said state exco Jagdeep Singh Deo.
The state local government, housing and town and country planning committee chairman said it is compulsory for all foreign workers to undergo screening before going back to work, as per the standard operating procedures (SOPs) by the federal government under the conditional movement control order (CMCO). “In Penang, there are 109 construction sites on the island and 127 on the mainland with a total 14,436 construction site foreign workers,” he said in a press conference after checking on a temporary Covid-19 screening test site for construction workers at Padang Polo.
Beginning Friday, dine-in will be allowed in hotels, malls and fast-food franchises throughout Penang, Chief Minister Chow Kon Yeow announced today.
He said a Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) on the matter will be made by the respective local councils tomorrow.
Chow said the decision for this was reached during the state special security committee meeting today.
He said the dine-in in hotels, malls and fast-food franchises was only the first phase, with dine-in in other premises to be announced in subsequent phases.
The government is closely monitoring the few “lorong tikus” that illegal immigrants use to sneak into the country and has made a few arrests at these entry points, said Senior Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri.
He said the government has formed a special task force, led by the armed forces, consisting of all uniformed agencies to closely monitor all entry points into the country.
Putrajaya has prepared 32.6 million face masks to be distributed to all Malaysians, said Senior Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri.
He said the face masks will be distributed to a total of 8.16 million households in the country.
The level of compliance among supermarket operators in the Northeast district of Penang with the standard operating procedure (SOP) of the conditional movement control order (CMCO) has reached 85 per cent on its third day of implementation.
Northeast district police chief ACP Soffian Santong said checks and surveillance conducted at 13 supermarkets in the district every day from 8am to 10pm found that the supermarket operators understood and complied with the SOP issued by the National Security Council (MKN).
Half of the roadside stalls at four major wet markets in Penang were allowed to reopen today, much to the relief of the traders who had been without income for almost two months.
Despite the initial confusion over which stalls were allowed to run on a daily rotation basis, most traders have accepted that they may only operate a few days each week.
Government agencies and departments at Komtar have reopened here on Friday (May 8), but many require prior appointments before visitors are allowed in to conduct any business.
Safety officials were seen conducting temperature checks at the entrance of the building as most civil servants returned to work Friday.
However, many counters throughout the building at the various agencies and departments were not staffed and members of the public who tried to enter certain agencies at level 3 of Komtar were told that there would be no walk-ins.
All sports complexes, stadiums and recreational parks in Penang will remain closed even after some social and sports activities will be allowed from May 13 onwards, said state exco Soon Lip Chee.
The sports and youth committee chairman said the decision to keep these places closed was in compliance with the National Security Council's (NSC) standard operating procedure (SOP) that doesn't allow indoor sports activities and contact sports.
Penang is gearing up to enter the second phase of its Penang Gradual Recovery Strategy on May 8 but the state government stressed that outdoor recreational activities, daycare centres and dine-in at eateries are still not allowed during this phase.
Penang Chief Minister Chow Kon Yeow said phase two of the gradual recovery plan is the familiarisation period for people to ease into the new normal.
“The reason we are implementing these restrictions during the second phase is to prevent crowding in this familiarisation period,” he said in his message on Facebook today.
Traders today urged the authorities to reopen the stretch of road leading to the Air Itam wet market under the conditional movement control order (CMCO).
Air Itam wet market association chairman Ooi Thean Huat said vehicles should be allowed through to drop people off and pick them up after that.