Malaysia Covid-19 Latest News

For MCO, Penang to give one-off aid to hawkers, trishaw riders, canteen operators and spas

P.Pinang

Penang has identified the first five target groups to receive one-off cash aid as part of the state’s third assistance package. Penang Chief Minister Chow Kon Yeow said the groups will receive RM10 million in aid to alleviate the impact of the movement control order (MCO). The RM10 million is part of the larger RM20 million financial assistance package Chow had announced last week. “The five target groups include licensed hawkers, trishaw riders, school canteen operators, hairdressers and spas and allocations for state assemblymen, MPs and constituency coordinators,” he said in a statement today.

Tanjung Bungah, Tanjung Tokong markets sanitised after one Covid-19 case reported

P.Pinang

Sanitisation operations were held at both the Tanjung Bungah and Tanjung Tokong public markets this afternoon after a hawker tested positive for Covid-19. Tanjung Bungah assemblyman Zairil Khir Johari said the hawker has a stall at the hawker centre of the Tanjung Bungah market complex, which was at a different section from the wet market section. “He was not operating his stall over the last few days before his results were out,” he said. Zairil said once he was informed of the case, he had requested for the Fire and Rescue Department to conduct a sanitisation exercise at the Tanjung Bungah market complex this afternoon.

CM: Penang awaiting word from Nadma on two new low-risk Covid-19 centres

P.Pinang

The Penang government is currently awaiting feedback from the National Disaster Management Agency (Nadma) about its request to set up two new locations for Covid-19 low-risk treatment and quarantine centre (PKRC) in the state. Chief Minister Chow Kon Yeow (pic) said the matter was made known during a special session of the National Security Council on Covid-19 management through a video conference chaired by Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyidin Yassin on Wednesday (Jan 20). "During the video conference, we agreed with the Prime Minister's suggestion that the strengthening of the efforts in facing the pandemic should involve every state. And the relevant approach should be a micromanaged prevention, implemented especially according to locality and infection trend," he said in a statement on Wednesday (Jan 20).

State to oversee the giving out of aid

P.Pinang

THE Penang government is monitoring the distribution of aid to the poor during the movement control order (MCO) to ensure it is not disrupted. State welfare committee chairman Phee Boon Poh said all district Welfare Departments have been told to be on alert if anyone needs aid during the period. “It is only for two weeks and many can still go out to get provisions. “Nevertheless, we are monitoring the situation and will extend help if necessary.”

All parks in Penang to close as of tomorrow (Jan 15)

P.Pinang

All parks in Penang, including Botanic Gardens, will be closed as of Friday (Jan 15). This follows some confusion when the movement control order was re-imposed on Wednesday (Jan 13) and some public recreational parks in the state remained open for people to go jogging alone. State youth and sports committee chairman Soon Lip Chee said in a statement on Thursday (Jan 14) that the state will take heed of the order from National Security Council and close all public parks in the state.

Police to set up 44 roadblocks in Penang during MCO 2.0

P.Pinang

The police will set up a total of 44 roadblocks on both the island and mainland during the movement control order (MCO) that starts just after midnight. Penang police chief Comm Datuk Sahabudin Abdul Manan said a total of 2,690 policemen will be involved in conducting the roadblocks. “We will be working with the Armed Forces, Rela, the Civil Defence Department and city council enforcement teams,” he said. The MCO for six states in the country, including Penang, will start after midnight and end on January 26.

Economic sectors urged to formulate strategies should MCO be imposed again

P.Pinang

All economic sectors in Penang have been urged to formulate strategies should a movement control order (MCO) be imposed again due to the high number of Covid-19 cases recorded daily. Penang Chief Minister Chow Kon Yeow said as experienced in the past, the impact would differ according to the various sub-sectors and he expected each sector to be subjected to different restrictions.

Penang suggests factories set up own low-risk Covid-19 centres for employees

P.Pinang

Factories in the state should set up their own low-risk Covid-19 centres to treat workers who test positive for Covid-19. Chief Minister Chow Kon Yeow said this was one of the proposals which will be brought to the National Security Council (NSC), if the number of Covid-19 cases among foreign workers continues to rise in the state.

Doctor shares experience on the frontlines in Penang during pregnancy

P.Pinang

In April last year six months after she tied the knot, Dr Yap Choon Fong learned she was pregnant. On one hand, she was delighted that she was going to be a mother but, on the other, she was full of trepidation as she had just been transferred to the Covid-19 unit at the government health clinic in Bukit Mertajam, Penang, where she worked. The 30-year-old medical officer’s fears were not unfounded as her job required her to take samples from persons under investigation (PUI) for Covid-19 testing purposes either at the clinic itself or at areas placed under enhanced movement control order (EMCO).

Penang to set up more low-risk Covid-19 centres following rise in cases

P.Pinang

The Penang government and state Health Department will meet tomorrow to discuss the setting up of more low-risk Covid-19 centres in the state following a rise in the number of cases. Chief Minister Chow Kon Yeow said the 190-bed low-risk Covid-19 centre at the Caring Society Complex here and the 432-bed low-risk centre at the Balik Pulau Sports Complex were almost full as more foreign workers, both in the factory and construction sectors, tested positive for the virus following mandatory screening.

Penang seeks federal aid to help employers send foreign workers for Covid-19 screening

P.Pinang

The Penang government today requested for the federal government’s assistance to provide allocation for employers that need to send their foreign workers for mandatory Covid-19 screening test. State Housing, Local Government, Town and Country Planning Committee chairman Jagdeep Singh Deo said majority of employers are not able to finance the screening test for their workers as their business had been badly affected by the Covid-19 pandemic.

EMCO in Relau flats ends earlier than scheduled

P.Pinang

KUALA LUMPUR: The Enhanced Movement Control Order (EMCO) at the Persiaran Paya Terubong flats, Relau, Mukim 13, in Penang ends today, earlier than scheduled.