All Penang eateries will be allowed to open for dine-in service from May 18 onwards, said Penang Chief Minister Chow Kon Yeow.
He said the state exco met on May 13 and decided to allow dine-in at all food and beverage premises in the state.
“The local authorities together with the local government exco and state health department will need to issue guidelines needed for this second phase in allowing dine-in services,” he said in his Facebook message today.
PENANG has begun mass Covid-19 screening of foreign workers, with a target of screening all the 51,208 registered ones within a month.
State local government committee chairman Jagdeep Singh Deo said the government was serious in getting all the 14,436 workers from the construction industry and 36,772 workers from the manufacturing industry screened.
Penang has a total 51,208 foreign workers in factories and on construction sites who will need to undergo Covid-19 screening, said state exco Jagdeep Singh Deo.
The state local government, housing and town and country planning committee chairman said it is compulsory for all foreign workers to undergo screening before going back to work, as per the standard operating procedures (SOPs) by the federal government under the conditional movement control order (CMCO). “In Penang, there are 109 construction sites on the island and 127 on the mainland with a total 14,436 construction site foreign workers,” he said in a press conference after checking on a temporary Covid-19 screening test site for construction workers at Padang Polo.
Beginning Friday, dine-in will be allowed in hotels, malls and fast-food franchises throughout Penang, Chief Minister Chow Kon Yeow announced today.
He said a Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) on the matter will be made by the respective local councils tomorrow.
Chow said the decision for this was reached during the state special security committee meeting today.
He said the dine-in in hotels, malls and fast-food franchises was only the first phase, with dine-in in other premises to be announced in subsequent phases.
The government is closely monitoring the few “lorong tikus” that illegal immigrants use to sneak into the country and has made a few arrests at these entry points, said Senior Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri.
He said the government has formed a special task force, led by the armed forces, consisting of all uniformed agencies to closely monitor all entry points into the country.
Putrajaya has prepared 32.6 million face masks to be distributed to all Malaysians, said Senior Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri.
He said the face masks will be distributed to a total of 8.16 million households in the country.
The level of compliance among supermarket operators in the Northeast district of Penang with the standard operating procedure (SOP) of the conditional movement control order (CMCO) has reached 85 per cent on its third day of implementation.
Northeast district police chief ACP Soffian Santong said checks and surveillance conducted at 13 supermarkets in the district every day from 8am to 10pm found that the supermarket operators understood and complied with the SOP issued by the National Security Council (MKN).
Half of the roadside stalls at four major wet markets in Penang were allowed to reopen today, much to the relief of the traders who had been without income for almost two months.
Despite the initial confusion over which stalls were allowed to run on a daily rotation basis, most traders have accepted that they may only operate a few days each week.
Government agencies and departments at Komtar have reopened here on Friday (May 8), but many require prior appointments before visitors are allowed in to conduct any business.
Safety officials were seen conducting temperature checks at the entrance of the building as most civil servants returned to work Friday.
However, many counters throughout the building at the various agencies and departments were not staffed and members of the public who tried to enter certain agencies at level 3 of Komtar were told that there would be no walk-ins.
All sports complexes, stadiums and recreational parks in Penang will remain closed even after some social and sports activities will be allowed from May 13 onwards, said state exco Soon Lip Chee.
The sports and youth committee chairman said the decision to keep these places closed was in compliance with the National Security Council's (NSC) standard operating procedure (SOP) that doesn't allow indoor sports activities and contact sports.
Penang is gearing up to enter the second phase of its Penang Gradual Recovery Strategy on May 8 but the state government stressed that outdoor recreational activities, daycare centres and dine-in at eateries are still not allowed during this phase.
Penang Chief Minister Chow Kon Yeow said phase two of the gradual recovery plan is the familiarisation period for people to ease into the new normal.
“The reason we are implementing these restrictions during the second phase is to prevent crowding in this familiarisation period,” he said in his message on Facebook today.
Traders today urged the authorities to reopen the stretch of road leading to the Air Itam wet market under the conditional movement control order (CMCO).
Air Itam wet market association chairman Ooi Thean Huat said vehicles should be allowed through to drop people off and pick them up after that.
The Penang government has never objected to the conditional movement control order (MCO) but will implement it in a gradual manner, says Chief Minister Chow Kon Yeow.
Chow said the state government was prepared to be sued for protecting the lives of Penangites from the Covid-19.
There are no more active Covid-19 cases recorded in Penang.
The last two cases were reportedly discharged as of 12 noon today, according to statistics from State Health Department.
This is the first time Penang recorded zero cases while at the same time having zero patients admitted for Covid-19.
Today marks the eight day that Penang had last recorded any new cases, since the last two cases recorded on April 26.
An undated photograph circulating this morning of a crowd at a wet market, supposedly on Penang island, was enough to give anyone the creeps about what could lie ahead once the Movement Control Order was lifted.
The photo showed scores of people walking very close to each other, albeit with face masks on. No sense of social distancing was apparent and the photograph and the crowd in it could have easily passed off as a pre-Chinese New Year market outing. Penang Chief Minister Chow Kon Yeow this afternoon announced that the state would not be introducing a conditional MCO (CMCO) for now, but will only do so after May 8.
The movement control order (MCO) in Penang will remain intact tomorrow, with the conditional movement control order (CMCO) to be enforced from May 8 onwards, Penang Chief Minister Chow Kon Yeow announced today.
The Penang lawmaker said Penang will not enforce CMCO tomorrow as announced by the federal government, but will do it gradually.
Despite the Conditional Movement Control Order (CMCO) going into force on Monday, Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM) has told both its academic and non-academic staff to continue working from home.
According to a statement issued by USM registrar, Dr Musa Ali, the university will continue to restrict the movement of staff throughout the CMCO, except for those working in the front line and directly involved in critical services.
The statement is available on USM's official Facebook page.
Penang Chief Minister Chow Kon Yeow today announced that the state government will refine the standard operating procedures (SOP) following the announcement of the re-opening of almost all economic sectors and businesses.
PEOPLE are taking advantage of the movement control order (MCO) to acquire a new skill or start a hobby.
Among them is restaurant administrator Meckkhey Chan, 40, who was seen buying a stainless steel net at a hardware shop in Chulia Street, Penang.
The Seberang Perai City Council (MBSP) has decided to cancel the annual Butterworth Fringe Festival 2020 (BFF 2020) which was supposed to be held in December.
MBSP Mayor Datuk Rozali Mohamud said the event involves mass gatherings so it has to be cancelled to prevent the spread of Covid-19.
The Seberang Perai City Council (MBSP) is issuing permits for seasonal fruit sellers, especially durian vendors, to set up stalls within market and hawker complexes starting May 1.
MBSP Mayor Datuk Rozali Mohamud said roadside stalls are still banned during the movement control order (MCO) and this has impacted many seasonal fruit sellers.
“So, we have decided to issue permits to these fruit sellers by providing them two options, either to operate within business premises that are allowed to open during the MCO or to rent stalls under MBSP,” he said.
Workers at factories that have resumed operations have alleged that requirements to ensure social distancing and wearing of face masks have not been seriously enforced.
The Malaysian Trades Union Congress (MTUC) said it has been receiving complaints daily on how employers are not enforcing the rules strictly.
In response, the Malaysian Employers Federation (MEF) conceded that there were “teething operational problems” in adopting the new measures and blamed it on the additional costs involved.
The police have arrested 17 people for defying the movement control order (MCO) at various locations in north Seberang Prai here.
The 12 Malaysians, four Myanmar nationals and one Bangladeshi were caught around Butterworth, Mak Mandin, Kepala Batas and Sungai Dua on Tuesday (April 28).
Gleneagles Hospital Penang reported today that two staff members have contracted Covid-19.
In a statement today, the hospital said that both employees are family members who were previously identified as patients under investigation (PUIs).
It said they were promptly transferred to the Penang General Hospital for confirmation of their diagnosis and management.
"All staff who had been in contact with the PUIs were immediately contact traced and placed under quarantine in accordance with guidelines by the Health Ministry (MOH), with Covid-19 tests carried out on them.
The hotel industry in Penang is facing the full brunt of the Covid-19 pandemic and the prolonged movement control order (MCO).
At least three hotels in the state – Jazz Hotel, Hotel Penaga and Jerejak Island Resort – and the Kinta Riverfront Hotel & Suites in Ipoh, Perak, have announced that they will wind up this week.
One of the dirtiest rivers in the country is not dirty any more. Thanks to the movement control order (MCO).
Photographs captured from a drone of Sungai Pinang in the heart of the city, taken seven weeks apart, revealed that after the MCO started, the 3.5km river is healing.