Penang was just three days away from being the next green state. However the 11 days of no Covid-19 cases record halted after two new cases were recorded today.
The two new cases were recorded at Mukim 16 of Seberang Perai Utara district.
The source of the infection is still being investigated.
Cumulatively, there are 121 cases in the state but only eight are active at the moment.
Seberang Perai Selatan on the mainland and the northeast district on the island are the only green districts in the state.
Police have arrested 15 individuals for hanging out and having chit-chat sessions at various locations in north Seberang Perai here on Saturday (April 25).
The individuals, comprising 11 Malaysians, three Myanmar nationals and one Bangladeshi were caught around Butterworth, Tasek Gelugor, Mak Mandin, Seri Pinang and Bertam Perdana.
North Seberang Prai OCPD Asst Comm Noorzainy Mohd Noor said the individuals were caught for violating the MCO.
The Penang government has reminded tourism players to adapt to the next normal in coping with the Covid-19 crisis as businesses will no longer operate as before.
Chief Minister Chow Kon Yeow said the state government is keen to assist but the industry players must also re-adapt to the new normal and forget about attracting crowds of people in the next three to six months, if not longer. “Not only Malaysia is in a semi-lockdown, most governments are also banning their citizens from travelling abroad for fear of them catching the virus and causing another infection chain when they return to their home country.
Penang has decided to allow electrical and electronic shops, along with full-service laundry shops in the state to reopen from tomorrow onwards, Penang Chief Minister Chow Kon Yeow announced today.
He said these sectors have applied and obtained approval from the Ministry of International Trade and Industry (Miti) to reopen for business and they will be allowed to operate from 8am to 8pm.
Penang recorded the highest total investment of RM16.9 billion in the state’s history for 2019, Penang Chief Minister Chow Kon Yeow announced today.
He said the state also recorded the highest in foreign direct investment (FDI) in the country by reaping a total of RM15 billion involving 166 projects.
The durian season in Balik Pulau usually begins in May but this year the king of fruits have started to drop onto ground during the movement control order (MCO) period.
As a result, durian orchard owners look for alternative ways to market and sell the fruits including through WhatsApp and WeChat mobile messaging applications.
In compliance with the MCO over Covid-19, the sellers are also providing delivery service for their customers. Bao Sheng Durian Orchard owner Chang Teik Seng, 53, said he could get 20 durian varieties from the 300 trees planted in his orchard in Sungai Pinang here.
The Penang state government has set aside an allocation of RM200,000 to assist the state’s art industry.
Tourism, Arts, Culture and Heritage state exco Yeoh Soon Hin said the fund is part of the Penang Art Sector Aid Package formulated to help artists in the state.
“This allocation is a grant that artists can apply to help fund online art events,” he said. He said there are three phases under the Penang Art Sector Aid Package.
PENANG is moving towards being declared a green zone state, with its carve-out strategy proven to be successful against the Covid-19 pandemic.
Chief Minister Chow Kon Yeow (pic) said the outcome of the 3Cs strategy - controlling the epidemic, communication with the public and containing the impact of the disease with efforts from the federal government, state and local governments and the people of Penang - had been fruitful.
Police today reminded Penangites to remain indoors and comply with the movement control order (MCO) even if the state is declared a green zone.
Northeast district police chief Assistant Commissioner Soffian Santong said the MCO is in force until April 28 so people are still not allowed to leave their homes except for valid reasons. “Please don't jump to your own conclusions that once Penang becomes a green zone means everything is back to normal,” he said.
Thirty-four men, including twenty-four foreign nationals, were arrested for defying the movement control order (MCO) here.
North Seberang Prai OCPD Asst Comm Noorzainy Mohd Noor said the suspects, aged from 27 to 46, were arrested in various locations in the district such as Butterworth, Mak Mandin, Sungai Dua, Seri Pinang and Kepala Batas.
ACP Noorzainy said the suspects were caught on April 19 (Sunday) by the Task Force Op Covid team from the district police headquarters during an operation to enforce the MCO.
Indonesian labourer Hamzah Voho has to put up with about 20 other foreigners in a container home near a construction site off Penang Road here.
“When we stopped working after the movement control order (MCO) started, we were told that we will receive health screenings.
“So we waited. But until now, nothing has happened. No government official has come to conduct health screenings or tell us when it will be done, ” said Hamzah, 48.
The Penang state government has and will continue to take proactive countermeasures to soften the economic impact from Covid-19 pandemic, said the chief minister Chow Kon Yeow today.
The state is mindful of the unintended economic consequences especially in the financial position of businesses and its people, he said.
Twenty-nine men, including seven foreign nationals, were arrested for flouting the movement control order (MCO) here.
North Seberang Prai OCPD Asst Comm Noorzainy Mohd Noor said the suspects, aged from 23 to 43, were arrested in various locations such as Sungai Dua, Tasek Gelugor, Butterworth, Kepala Batas and Mak Mandin.
Parents and relatives of over 4,000 Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM) students stranded at hostels and rented houses during the Movement Control Order (MCO) should not worry about their well-being as the university has them covered.
USM has taken necessary steps, including establishing a Covid-19 Nerve Centre, to ensure the students are well stocked with basic food supply throughout the period.
Some staff even voluntarily agreed to take three-month pay cut so that the money could be utilised to cater for the students and staff in need.
The Penang government has identified four “longer-term” measures to minimise the adverse impact on the economy following the Movement Control Order (MCO) to curb the spread of Covid-19.
The measures comprise helping investors to catch up on the progress of their projects, helping small and medium enterprises’ (SMEs) race to recovery, preparing to help potential job seekers, and implementing strategies for industry development.
Penang has the capability and capacity to position itself as a main manufacturing hub for medical equipment in the global fight against the Covid-19 pandemic, said Penang Chief Minister Chow Kon Yeow.
The Padang Kota assemblyman said the state is a global supply chain hub with a ready pool of knowledgeable workers so it can transform its expertise to fit the current demands for medical equipment, such as face masks, personal protective equipment, ventilators, hand sanitisers and other relevant medical supplies.
Penang does not need to implement an enhanced movement control order (EMCO) in any of its districts as Covid-19 cases in the state are under control, said Penang Chief Minister Chow Kon Yeow.
The Padang Kota assemblyman said that a total of 119 Covid-19 cases have been recorded in Penang with only one death to date.
THE Seberang Prai City Council (MBSP) has launched its ‘Portal e-Bazar Ramadan’ (e-Bazaar Ramadan online portal) to serve as a one-stop platform to support Ramadan bazaar traders conduct their businesses online during the movement control order (MCO).
Its mayor Datuk Rozali Mohamud said the e-Bazaar would see a database compilation of businesses on social media and websites in the form of an e-catalogue.
The Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs Department will be stepping up enforcement action to check the prices of vegetables and essential food items in supermarkets, markets and grocery stores following complaints of price hikes.
The department’s Penang director Mohd Ridzuan Ab Ghapar said it had received complaints of price hikes for certain food items such as vegetables, especially onions.
PENANG has formulated a strategy to face a new world once the Covid-19 pandemic crisis ends.
Chief Minister Chow Kon Yeow said the strategy dubbed ‘Penang Next Normal’ would focus on three main missions.
“We will work on strengthening the eco-system, aligning it towards changes in the 21st century and building resilience to face possibility of any future crisis.
Penang has not recorded new Covid-19 clusters at the end of the second phase of the Movement Control Order (MCO).
Chief Minister Chow Kon Yeow said he was also informed by the state Health Department that all the frontliners were healthy.
He said he was also told by the state police chief that Penang recorded 97.84 per cent compliance of the MCO at the end of Phase 2, which saw the arrest of some 861 individuals for violating the stay-at-home order.
Penang did not record any new Covid-19 clusters during the second phase of the movement control Order (MCO), said Penang Chief Minister Chow Kon Yeow.
He said all frontliners in the state remain healthy and continue to work tirelessly for the safety of everyone.
The Penang state government will conduct cloud seeding operations in the northern region with the assistance of the Malaysian Meteorological Department (MET Malaysia), Penang Chief Minister Chow Kon Yeow said today.
All the Ramadan favourite dishes and delicacies will soon be at the fingertips for the Seberang Prai folk with the launch of e-Bazaar webpage today.
Following a series of discussions with locals and traders since the announcement that Ramadan bazaars were banned nationwide, the Seberang Prai City Council (MBSP) came up with a solution to ensure the annual busy month-long food business was unaffected.
With Ramadan just over a week away, interested traders are urged to register at the https://www.mbsp.gov.my/ebazar/ website from today onwards.
Several routes heading to the Sultan Abdul Halim Mu’adzam Shah Bridge (JSAHMS) will remain closed to traffic during the third phase of the movement control order (MCO) which begins tomorrow until April 28.
Its operator, Jambatan Kedua Sdn Bhd (JKSB) in a statement today said the road closures were to limit and control the movement of people, in line with the enforcement of the MCO as part of efforts to contain the spread of Covid-19 pandemic.
he police will now verify every excuse given by those stopped at roadblocks to the extent of following them home as an additional step to strictly enforce the movement control order (MCO), said Northeast District Police chief Assistant Commissioner Soffian Santong.
He said more cars have been seen on the roads since the end of last week as if the MCO was no longer in force.
DEEMED the ‘craziest’ market on mainland Penang since the movement control order (MCO) came into force, the Mak Mandin hawker complex and market almost got shut down.
But since traders and market- goers have finally toed the line, the state will draw up plans to give the cramped complex a much-needed upgrade.
Bagan Jermal assemblyman Soon Lip Chee said the market, which was built about 40 years ago, required RM1.5mil to be transformed.