None of the Penang Remand Prison staff, screened for Covid-19 recently, have been found positive.
Its director Mohamed Jusoh Ismail said all seven who tested positive for Covid-19 were inmates, who are now being treated at the Penang Hospital.
"Based on the swab tests taken until now, none of our staff have been tested positive for Covid-19. However, some have yet to be tested, and we hope that there are no positive cases. The screening process is proceeding smoothly.
The Penang Remand Prison has opened up a special treatment centre to treat inmates tested positive for Covid-19.
Its director Mohamed Jusoh Ismail said they, along with the Health Ministry, had prepared the treatment centre and the number of inmates infected with Covid-19 was still under control.
Besides the centre, he said, they also have a clinic inside the prison equipped with doctors and Health Ministry workers.
The Health Ministry has been urged to step up safety protocols for inmates and prisons staff nationwide following spikes in Covid-19 cases behind bars.
Gerakan legal bureau chief Datuk Baljit Singh said there was also a need to improve safety measures in public places where the inmates had been taken to, especially the courts and hospitals.
The Penang Remand Prison has taken immediate action to isolate and quarantine all inmates and staff believed to have been in close contact with an inmate who was reported to have died in the prison yesterday.
Its director, Mohamed Jusoh Ismail, when contacted, confirmed the matter but refused to give any details on whether or not the male inmate had died of Covid-19.
Thirty-three premises in Penang have been ordered closed since the movement control order (MCO) was enforced for failure to comply with the standard operating procedures (SOPs) on Covid-19 prevention.
State Housing, Local Government and Town and Country Planning Committee chairman, Jagdeep Singh Deo today said that out of the 33 premises, 13 were located on the island and 20 on the mainland.
Sekolah Kebangsaan (SK) Permatang Janggus, Penaga near here has been ordered to close beginning today until October 8 after a teacher there tested positive for Covid-19.
Penang State Education Department director Abdul Rashid Abdul Samad said the closure order was issued to curb the spread of Covid-19.
“At the moment, the school will be closed for eight days and any other decision will be made after a meeting with the Ministry of Health (MOH),” he said when contacted by Bernama here.
All students from Sabah and other Covid-19 red zone states have been told to put on hold their return to Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM) due to the limited quarantine accommodation in its campus.
The students have been told to follow classes online instead.
Those returning to Penang from Sabah are highly encouraged to undergo testing for Covid-19, said Chief Minister Chow Kon Yeow.
He said they could either get the swab test done at government clinics, or at private health facilities at their own expense.
The matter, he said, was decided at this morning's state special security committee meeting.
Penang Adventist Hospital (PAH) today announced that all its 202 staff had undergone the Covid-19 test and the result is negative.
In a statement today, PAH said following the recent positive case of a warded patient, 86 staff were identified as close contacts and were proceeded for polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test.
The third edition of the Penang International Travel Exchange 2020 (PITE 2020) will be held virtually between October 14 and 16 due to the Covid-19 pandemic and international travel ban. Penang State Tourism, Arts, Culture and Heritage Committee chairman Yeoh Soon Hin today said that the virtual event was an initiative by the Penang Convention and Exhibition Bureau (PCEB) and would be organised by ACE Conference & Exhibitions.
Penang Chief Minister Chow Kon Yeow said existing protocols did not provide for the disclosure of the exact locations where Covid-19 cases have been detected in the state.
He said notices by private building owners on positive Covid-19 cases in their premises were their own initiative and not part of any National Security Council (NSC) measures.
“There are pros and cons to such notices; one, it can inform the people so that the people are aware but such notices, if not confirmed, can lead to panic,” he said in a press conference today.
The resurgence of Covid-19 has heightened fear among Penangites to the extent that a hospital employee was barred from entering his apartment unit when he returned home from work last Friday.
But that was not all he had to deal with. Early this week, his daughter was refused entry to her class at a local college and now he has also been prohibited from stepping into the gym.
The staff of the Adventist Hospital in Pulau Tikus said he had not been in close contact with a patient who tested positive for Covid-19 last week.