The state will join the federal government and other states in implementing the Recovery Movement Control Order (RMCO) as announced by Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin tomorrow.
Chief Minister Chow Kon Yeow said the Penang Security Council Committee (PSCC) which met today agreed to fully implement the RMCO for all business and economic sectors effective tomorrow as announced by the federal government on Sunday.
The Penang government has taken note of the imposition of the recovery movement control order (RMCO) announced by Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin today and will make a decision on it next week.
Chief Minister Menteri Chow Kon Yeow said for the moment the Penang government will continue with the conditional movement control order (CMCO) until a decision is made by the Penang Special Security Committee meeting on Wednesday.
THE compliance rates of eateries in Penang on dine-in standard operating procedures are 99.6% compliant on the island and 99.2% on the mainland.
State local government committee chairman Jagdeep Singh Deo said this after checks were conducted at 155,379 outlets on the island and 219,391 more on the mainland.
Police issued compounds to 24 people, including one Vietnam national, for using rat lanes to sneak between Penang and Kedah here, recently.
Seberang Prai Utara district police chief Assistant Commissioner Noorzainy Mohd Noor said police had identified two rat lanes used by locals from both states to sneak in and out during the ongoing Conditional Movement Control Order (CMCO) period.
The individuals were detained at the routes near Lorong Tengah, Jalan Kampung Selamat here, between May 27 and 29 during police checks.
All mosques in Penang, allowed to hold Friday prayers since last week during the Conditional Movement Control Order (CMCO), have fully complied with the standard operating procedure (SOP) set.
State police chief Datuk Sahabudin Abdul Manan said checks showed all the mosques involved in holding Friday prayers had adapted and practised the SOP set such as providing hand sanitisers and recording body temperatures.
"Police has and will continue to monitor the situation at all premises, including houses of worship, to ensure full compliance of the SOP.
Penang will monitor contractors, especially those with foreign workers, to make sure they comply with the standard operating procedure (SOP) under the conditional movement control order (MCO).
State local government, housing, town and country planning committee chairman Jagdeep Singh Deo said local contractors had to ensure their workers abide by the social distancing rules at construction sites and workers’ quarters, as this was the priority item on the SOP list.
Nearly 7,000 foreign construction workers here have been tested for Covid-19 but the question remains on how the screening could help contain the spread of the virus.
Penang Island City Council (MBPP) mayor Datuk Yew Tung Seang said it was difficult to gauge the effectiveness of the screening as most of these foreign workers were staying together with their counterparts working in other sectors.
The Penang government is still discussing the possible reopening of hair salons and barber shops and has not made a decision yet, said State Housing, Local Government and Town and Country Planning Committee chairman Jagdeep Singh Deo.
He said although the state government had recently allowed dine-in services in restaurants during the Conditional movement control order (CMCO), it was implemented with stringent guidelines and cooperation.
The state Road Transport Department (RTD) has urged the people to adhere to the standard operating procedure (SOP) when conducting their official matters at its counters.
A spokesman from the state RTD said there was no need for mad rush as all its service counters were operating as usual throughout the Conditional Movement Control Order (CMCO).
He said RTD service counters open daily from Mondays to Fridays, between 8am and 4pm, and between 8am and 1pm on weekends.
Some 308 drivers who attempted to enter Penang for Hari Raya and other reasons, were ordered to turn back yesterday.
A total of nine compounds were also issued against those who failed to comply with the Conditional Movement Control Order (CMCO).
Speaking to newsmen after checking police roadblock at the Jawi toll plaza today, state police chief Datuk Sahabudin Abdul Manan warned those without police approval for interstate travel to not attempt to enter the state.
Muslims in Penang are not allowed to visit the graves on Aidilfitri throughout the conditional movement control order (CMCO) period, said Deputy Chief Minister I Datuk Ahmad Zakiyuddin Abdul Rahman.
Ahmad Zakiyuddin, who is Penang Islamic Religious Council (MAINPP) president, said visiting graves is a “sunat” (recommended) practice, therefore Muslims in the state are advised to postpone it.
He said the recitation of “talkin” during funerals are also not allowed throughout the CMCO period in the efforts to break the chain of Covid-19 infection.
To some Penangites, it feels like a very long time since they went out for a meal at their favourite restaurants. While most of the country has been able to dine in at restaurants since May 4, Penang only followed suit from yesterday.
Penang’s eateries in shopping malls, hotels and fast-food franchises were allowed to accept dine-in customers, whose delight was obvious.
At restaurants with seats and tables marked with tape for social distancing, families came out for the luxury of “having-here” meals, even if they had to sit apart.