Malaysia Covid-19 Latest News

Perak NGO to have food distribution programme to assist B40 affected by Covid-19

Perak

The lives of many have drastically changed following the Covid-19 pandemic, complicated by the necessary implementation of the movement control order (MCO) which saw many lose their jobs. With this in mind, non-governmental organisation Perak Women for Women (PWW) is starting a food distribution programme to assist those affected especially those in the B40 category. PWW co-founder Yip Siew Keen said the organisation had been deluged with calls from the people asking for help following the MCO.

Perak Health Department tracing close contacts of virus positive nurse

Perak

The Perak State Health Department (JKN) is tracing and conducting Covid-19 screenings on all close contacts including patients who were treated by a healthcare worker at a clinic here. State Health director Datuk Dr Ding Lay Ming said the measure was taken after the staff was detected positive yesterday. She said the nurse was tested after she showed symptoms of respiratory tract infection at a health clinic on Wednesday, before a Covid-19 Real-Time Reverse Transcription-Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT-PCR) test was found positive the next day.

Months after lockdown, Ipoh reawakens... slowly

Perak

Certain parts of Ipoh’s Old Town like Concubine Lane and its surrounds are slowly reawakening after months of lockdown due to the Covid-19 pandemic. Weekends and public holidays used to see these places packed with tourists but during the lockdown, the whole area was deserted. A recent check by Malay Mail showed that the tourist spots in Ipoh Old Town and Taman Jubilee, where the city’s most popular food streets are located, are getting visitors again... even on weekdays.

Perak police tracking three returnees yet to take mandatory second Covid-19 test

Perak

Perak police chief Datuk Razarudin Husain said his agency was helping the Health Department trace three Malaysian returnees who have not performed the second Covid-19 test at the end of their mandatory home quarantine. Razarudin said health authorities could not find them at their given addresses as these were incorrect. “The house addresses and phone numbers given by the individuals were not correct,” he told a press conference at the State Police Headquarters here.

51-year-old man fined RM1,000 for defying quarantine order

Perak

A 51-year-old man under Covid-19 home quarantine was arrested at an eatery in Kampung Jering, Ayer Tawar, here, yesterday. District police chief Assistant Commissioner Nor Omar Sappi said the man who had a pink wristband, indicating that he had undergone checks for coronavirus infection, was spotted wandering at the eatery.

Retired Perak headmaster promotes Chinese culture, traditional games online amid Covid-19

Perak

Retired headmaster Wee Ong Chin has been showcasing Chinese culture and traditional games at fundraising events for over three decades. For the 66-year-old, it was his way to ensure its continuity. Starting out in 1986, Wee initially received five invites to perform.

Ipoh night market traders unsure of reopening during recovery MCO

Perak

Some night market traders here are contemplating whether to resume business during the recovery movement control order (MCO) period. Ipoh City Small Traders and Hawkers Association secretary Joseph Tan said the strict standard operating procedure (SOP) does not allow those selling clothes, shoes and food items involving heavy cooking to trade.

Perak MB: No restrictions on the elderly, children below 12 at eateries

Perak

There are no restrictions on children below 12 or senior citizens aged 60 and above from dining at eateries, says Perak Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Ahmad Faizal Azumu. However, said it's advisable for them not to do so since they were considered to be at a higher risk of getting Covid-19, he added. “If there is no urgent need for them to come along, then don’t bring them to public places.

Following Putrajaya, Perak says all non-Muslim houses of worship in state now open

Perak

Perak Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Ahmad Faizal Azumu today said that all non-Muslim houses of worship in the state are allowed to open, following the federal government’s green light. The state has 528 non-Muslim houses of worship officially registered with the authorities, according to the latest data from 2015.

In Perak, OK for those under 12 and over 60 to now eat out, but night markets still a no-go for young kids

Perak

Children under age 12 and others over age 60 can now go out to public places, Perak Mentri Besar Ahmad Faizal Azumu said today. He added that these two groups deemed at high risk of contracting Covid-19 can also now dine in at restaurants in the state, but advised them to keep their guard up and refrain from eating out if there isn’t a need to do so.

Perak govt initiates efforts to help 1,500 workers affected by Covid-19

Perak

The Perak government has initiated its Workforce Transformation Programme to help some 1,500 people affected by the Covid-19 pandemic. Perak Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Ahmad Faizal Azumu said the programme would benefit those who had lost their jobs and also to reduce the unemployment rate. Faizal said the programme offers three schemes the people could participate in.

Cops on the hunt for Rohingya man who escaped from quarantine centre in Tanjung Rambutan

Perak

The police are searching for a Rohingya man who reportedly escaped from a quarantine centre at the Ministry of Health Malaysia’s Training Institute in Tanjung Rambutan here yesterday. Ipoh district police chief ACP A. Asmadi Abdul Aziz said Rohim Mohd Zokoria, 27, was realised to be missing while a Ministry of Health staff was monitoring those quarantined at block E-2-83 of the facility at about 11am.

12 individuals fined RM1,000 each for gathering at a pub in Ipoh during CMCO

Perak

Twelve individuals were fined RM1,000 each, in default of three months jail, by the Magistrate Court here for defying the conditional movement control order (CMCO) by gathering at a pub on Saturday. All the accused, aged between 27 and 52, pleaded guilty when the charge was jointly read before magistrate Nur Melati Diana Abdul Wahab.

Suspected Covid-19 positive Rohingya refugee escapes Tg Rambutan quarantine centre

Perak

A Rohingya refugee suspected of having Covid-19 has escaped from a quarantine centre in Tanjung Rambutan here. Perak CID chief Asst Comm Anuar Othman said Rohim Mohd Zokaria, 27, was found to have been missing from his room at the Health Ministry Training Institute on Sunday (May 31) around 11am.

Perak allows dine-in at eateries

Perak

Eateries in Perak are now allowed to serve dine-in customers throughout the conditional movement control order (CMCO) period, said Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Ahmad Faizal Azumu. However he said, it would still depend on the owners whether to allow dine-in at their premises. “If they (eatery owners) are ready to be comply with the strict standard operating procedure (SOP) set, they can allow customers to dine-in.

Perak govt to allow dine-in at restaurants if they can comply with SOP

Perak

The Perak government will allow dine-in at food outlets, subjected to the approval of the owners of the premises, says Datuk Seri Ahmad Faizal Azumu. The Mentri Besar said the final decision, however, would still depend on the owners if they wanted to allow dine-in at their premises. “If the owners are ready with the strict standard operational procedures (SOP), dine-in can proceed. But if they (owners) are still not ready, then the idea of dine-in should be postponed for the moment, ” he told a press conference on Wednesday (May 20).

Over 18,000 applications for inter-state travel received, say Perak cops

Perak

The police in Perak have received a total of 18,801 applications for inter-state travel, says Perak police chief Comm Datuk Razarudin Husain. He said from the total number of applications, 17,263 had been given the approval, while the remaining 1,538 had been rejected, as the applicants had no valid reasons. “During the same period, a total of 3,243 vehicles were asked to turn back from the 37 roadblocks in the state.

CMCO: SOPs for Friday prayers to be announced on Thursday

Perak

Standard operating procedures (SOPs) for Friday prayers and congregational Muslim prayers during the Conditional Movement Control Order (CMCO) period is expected to be announced on Thursday, Datuk Seri Dr Zulkifli Mohamad Al-Bakri said. The Minister in the Prime Minister's Department (Religious Affairs) said the SOPs will be further discussed and scrutinised in a meeting with Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin later today.

Perak Sultan: Covid-19 containment measures must be balanced

Perak

Efforts to curb the spread of the Covid-19 pandemic should remain as a priority, but containment efforts need to be balanced to ensure that the economy is not brought to a point from which recovery becomes very difficult, said the Sultan of Perak, Sultan Nazrin Shah. He said the Covid-19 pandemic is extracting a heavy cost from the world, following the implementation of preventative measures including the movement control order (MCO) by the government since March 18.

Business owners in Ipoh glad to resume operations despite lack of customers

Perak

Business owners in Ipoh are glad that most economic sectors have been allowed to resume operations under the conditional movement control order (CMCO) starting today. While the crowd remained thin, markets, restaurants, coffee shops and shopping malls, business owners are positive that customers will slowly return.

No more Covid-19 patients in Perak hospitals, says MB

Perak

There are no more Covid-19 patients warded at hospitals in Perak, says Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Ahmad Faizal Azumu. He said that State Health Director Datuk Dr Ding Lay Ming shared the good news with him on Thursday (April 30), and added that all Covid-19 patients have been given the green light to go back to their homes.

Ensuring no one goes hungry

Perak

THE Pertubuhan Amal Ai Xin Fan Tong Ipoh centre at Jalan Ho Lok Park in Ipoh is more than just a soup kitchen to serve the needy. It also offers delivery services to send food to the doorsteps of those who cannot come to the centre. The organisation’s adviser Kathleen Wong said they served about 600 needy and deserving folk, including the disabled, the elderly and the poor, covering a wide area.

Son of Perak exco fined for breaching MCO explains why he was not charged in court

Perak

Muhammad Rifaat Razman, the son of Perak executive councillor Razman Zakaria, today explained that he was not charged in court despite being called by the police for an investigation into a gathering at a Maahad Tahfiz in Lenggong, which violated the movement control order (MCO).

Hospitality industry needs special stimulus package to ride out MCO, says Chamber chief

Perak

The hospitality industry needs a special stimulus package to ride out the the movement control order (MCO), says the president of the Perak Chinese Chamber of Commerce and Industry (PCCCI). Datuk Liew Sew Yee said many industry players are facing various issues and urgently need assistance to survive.

Muslims anticipating a quiet Hari Raya this year

Perak

Hari Raya next month will definitely be a new experience for the majority of Muslims here in view of the Covid-19 pandemic. It is uncertain if the movement control order (MCO) will be extended beyond May 12, and many have decided that celebrations this year will be among immediate family members only. Many felt that even if the MCO is not extended, social distancing should still be practised – until and unless a vaccine is found. Planner Hezeryn Rose Hussein, 43, said Hari Raya celebrations this year would be a low-key event.

Report: Deputy health minister, Perak exco to be charged with violating MCO tomorrow

Perak

Deputy Health Minister I Datuk Dr Noor Azmi Ghazali and Perak executive councillor (exco) Razman Zakaria will be charged with allegedly breaching the movement control order (MCO) tomorrow morning. New Straits Times reported that the duo will be charged at the Gerik Magistrate’s Court, with Perak police chief Datuk Razarudin Husain confirming the matter. It is unknown if Razman’s son Muhammad Rifaat will also be similarly charged, nor others who were also present at the event.

Another Ipoh hotel bites the dust amidst pandemic

Perak

Another of the city's prominent hotels, Kinta Riverfront Hotel and Suites will shutter at the end of the month. An inter-office notice dated April 22 which the hotel sent out to its staff stating that it will close down on April 30 has circulated widely on WhatsApp.

Perak wants Putrajaya to allow operation of timber, other industries in state during MCO

Perak

Perak Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Ahmad Faizal Azumu wants the federal government to consider allowing industrial sectors that could contribute to the state’s economic development to operate during the movement control order (MCO), which is being enforced to contain the spread of Covid-19. He said with many activities halted during the MCO, it is affecting the state’s economy.