A new Covid-19 cluster has emerged in Labuan over the past 24 hours, recording 13 cases with one of them being Omicron variant.
Labuan Health Department director Dr Ismuni Bohari said the cluster dubbed Jalan OKK Awang Besar Saudi was triggered by an Umrah pilgrim who returned to the island on Dec 21 last year and had interacted with several family members and other individuals.
Dr Ismuni said the Covid-19 Omicron variant patient was currently undergoing quarantine alongside other family members.
A new cluster involving a hostel student in Universiti Malaysia Sabah (UMS) saw Sabah’s cases spike to 232 cases Tuesday (Dec 14).
State Covid-19 spokesman Datuk Seri Masidi Manjun said that the index case of the Puncak Ilmu cluster was a male student living at the hostel.
He said that a total of 40 students and UMS staff in close contact with the student were also tested positive for Covid-19.
Those who have yet to get their Covid-19 vaccinations in Sandakan are urged to get vaccinated at the Sandakan mobile health office clinic.
Sandakan Health Officer Dr Johari Awang Besar said the mobile clinic, which is actually a modified truck, offers comfortable facilities for vaccine recipients, including a bed and air conditioning, and also provides booster shots. Those who have missed their second vaccination appointments are also encouraged to get vaccinated at the mobile clinic.
“The mobile clinic, launched on October 23, moves around daily, targeting areas with many visitors.
“The public has the choice of being vaccinated at the Duchess of Kent Hospital or the nearest health or community clinic or can also visit our mobile clinic,” he told reporters after officiating the Sandakan-level World AIDS programme here today.
A mobile vaccination truck will be deployed to remote areas and plantations here to enable those who have yet to be vaccinated against Covid-19 to get their vaccine jabs.
Sabah State Health Department deputy director of State Health (Public Health) Dr Asits Sanna said the vaccination truck would be mobilised under the Rapid Assessment Vaccination Operation (Ravo) project to plantations and villages to reach out to those who have not been vaccinated.
“Under Ravo, apart from house-to-house vaccination, the Covid-19 vaccine jabs will also be administered in the truck.
The Sabah state government will decide whether to lift restrictions on interstate travel in a meeting on Wednesday, said Sabah Local Government and Housing Minister Datuk Masidi Manjun.
Earlier, Prime Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob in a special address announced that individuals who have completed the Covid-19 vaccination are allowed to make interstate travel from tomorrow without obtaining a police permit.
Masidi, who is the state Covid-19 spokesperson said the state Disaster Management Committee would consider the federal government’s decision regarding the matter and submit relevant proposals to the state cabinet at the meeting.
Government and private official events are now allowed as part of the relaxation of standard operating procedures (SOPs), in view of the improving Covid-19 situation in Sabah.
Minister in charge of Covid-19 matters in the state, Datuk Seri Masidi Manjun (pic), said conditions are, however, set with the allowing of these face-to-face events, including workshops and seminars.
“Participants of these events must be fully vaccinated while venues can only be 50% occupied,” he said during the daily briefing on Sunday (Oct 3).
The implementation of phase two of Covid-19 vaccination for students aged 13 to 15 in the duty-free island runs smoothly and has received an encouraging response from the parents, said Labuan Covid-19 Immunisation Task-Force (CITF) chairman Rithuan Ismail.
“As early as 7am, parents and guardians brought their children to two vaccination centres at Labuan Matriculation College hall and Darul Kifayah Complex for the vaccination that began on September 22.
“They do not want to miss the opportunity to get the vaccine as they want their children to be protected from Covid-19 before the kids return to schools in October,” he told Bernama today.
About 85 per cent of brought-in-dead (BID) cases due to Covid-19 in Sandakan, involved those who had no history of vaccination against the pandemic, said district health officer, Dr Johari Awang Besar today.
He said that since July the number of deaths outside of the hospital or BID due to Covid-19, had risen exponentially, involving mostly high-risk individuals, particularly those aged 50 and above.
“In July, Sandakan recorded six BID cases and the number shot to 55 in August. As of September 16, there are already 66 cases reported.
The enhanced movement control order (EMCO) will be enforced in Kampung Garib, Matunggong in Kudat, Sabah from Wednesday to October 5, according to the National Security Council (MKN).
MKN national security director-general Datuk Rodzi Md Saad said the decision to enforce the EMCO was made after the Health Ministry’s presentation on risk assessment as well as Covid-19 infection trends in the area.
“The standard operating procedure for all EMCO areas is the same as announced previously,” he said in a statement posted on Facebook today.
Sabah will proceed with inoculating teenagers despite the vaccination rate among its adult population still being below 80 per cent.
Chief Minister Datuk Seri Hajiji Noor said the vaccinations would start tomorrow for those aged between 12 and 17.
He said the matter was decided at the cabinet meeting here today.
"This was also in line with the Health Ministry's stand to get as many adolescents in the high-risk group to be vaccinated. It is also in anticipation of the reopening of schools starting Oct 3," he said in a statement.
Enforcement of the standard operating procedures (SOPs) requiring employees and customers in the trade and distribution sectors, restaurants and supermarkets to be fully vaccinated in order to enter the premises will be deferred to September 21, when Sabah achieves its target of vaccinating 60 per cent of the adult population.
Local Government and Housing Minister Datuk Seri Panglima Masidi Manjun said the SOP was initially announced to take effect after September 15.
However, he said only 52 per cent of the adult population in Sabah were vaccinated as of Sunday.
Sabah's daily Covid-19 cases dipped for the fourth time this month to below 2,000 daily cases.
State Covid-19 spokesman Datuk Seri Masidi Manjun said that the state recorded 1,717 cases with Kota Kinabalu seeing a significant drop.
The state has been seeing an average of over 2,000 cases daily in August and saw numbers drop below 2,000 for three days from Sept 4 to 6. But, it again went up to above 2,000 cases over the last five days.