Our site needs your support to continue its operation. Paypal

Malaysia Covid-19 Latest News

Use emergency funds for Sabah’s Covid-19 fight as donations will be slower, doctors tell federal govt

Sabah

The federal government should allow emergency funds to be used for resources and equipment to tackle Sabah’s Covid-19 situation, the Malaysian Medical Association said today. MMA president Professor Datuk Dr Subramaniam Muniandy cautioned that waiting for donations for Sabah’s Covid-19 fight would not be time-effective when there is an urgent need for more medical resources in the state.

Sandakan Sports Complex hostel turned into Covid-19 treatment centre, says Sabah Sports Board chairman

Sabah

Another Covid-19 treatment centre for low risk patients in Sandakan will be operating this afternoon. Sabah Sports Board (SSB) chairman KH Tan said the board is allowing the use of the Sandakan Sports Complex Hostel as a Covid-19 treatment centre following the increase in the number of positive cases in the district.

Celcom employee in Sandakan tested positive for Covid-19

Sabah

Celcom Axiata Bhd confirmed that one of its employees at its retail outlet, bluecube here, has been tested positive for Covid-19. In a statement today, the company said the employee was currently in quarantine and awaiting the second test result after showing mild symptoms.

RMAF deploys medical assets, healthcare personnel to Tawau field hospital

Sabah

The Royal Malaysian Air Force (RMAF) has dispatched all medical assets and healthcare personnel to the new Malaysian Armed Forces field hospital in Tawau, Sabah, today. Senior Defence Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said a 14-tonne consignment including medical supplies and other necessities were sent to the field hospital.

Focus now on Sabah, says Ismail Sabri

Sabah

The government is now focusing on Sabah following the surge in Covid-19 cases in the state. Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said various assistance have been channeled to the state including financial aid, expanding healthcare necessities as well as providing more personnel, assets and roadblocks.

Sabah receives first mobile negative pressure room from public donors

Sabah

In a situation where the Covid-19 pandemic remains uncertain and cases rising, generous Sabahans came together to help fund the state's first mobile negative pressure room. Donations were collected via Osimal Foundation led by former Chief Justice Tan Sri Richard Malanjum, who handed over the RM130,000 airborne infection isolation room to the Likas Women and Children's Hospital this morning.

Almost 30,000 food baskets distributed to 7 Sabah districts

Sabah

Almost 30,000 food aid baskets have been distributed to residents of seven districts in Sabah to help those affected by the Covid-19 pandemic. State Community Development and People's Wellbeing Minister Shahelmy Yahya said that as of Oct 15, a total of 26,178 food baskets have been distributed in Lahad Datu, Semporna, Kunak, Tawau, Sandakan, Kota Kinabalu, and Penampang.

Sabah CM in good spirits, recovering from Covid-19, says assistant state minister

Sabah

Assistant Minister to the Chief Minister Datuk Wetrom Bahanda today said that Datuk Seri Hajiji Noor remains in high spirits despite undergoing treatment for Covid-19. Wetrom said he has been in constant contact with the chief minister who is currently undergoing treatment for Covid-19 in a government hospital here.

Tanjung market, fish market in Tawau temporarily closed

Sabah

The Tanjung Market and Tawau Fish Market have been temporarily closed after more than 10 traders tested positive for Covid-19 since last week. Tawau District Health Officer Dr G. Navindran said the closure order, issued and effective from yesterday, was to curb the spread of the virus among traders and customers of the markets. “We have asked the Tawau Municipal Council (MPT) to shut down both the markets and notices on the closures have been posted on the premises,” he said when contacted Bernama.

Screening tents at Queen Elizabeth Hospital not due to shortage of beds

Sabah

Screenings tents are set up at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital (HQE) for purpose of conducting Covid-19 screening and have no connection with the viralled issue on shortage of beds at the hospital’s Intensive Care Unit (ICU), said Sabah Health Director Datuk Dr Christina Rundi. She said preliminary screening and examination on patients are conducted by medical officers at the tents to prevent the spread of the virus to other patients who are receiving treatment at the same hospital or healthcare workers who share the same space.

2 residential areas in Lahad Datu district under EMCO

Sabah

The two residential areas in the Lahad Datu district will be placed under the Enhanced Movement Control Order (EMCO) starting 12.01am on Oct 13 until Oct 26. Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said the two residential areas were Taman Khazanah Indah and the Mutiara Kasih People's Housing Project (PPR). The Senior Defence Minister added a total of 5,452 residents would be affected by the EMCO.

Kota Marudu Hospital to treat Covid-19 cases in Sabah - Health DG

Sabah

The Kota Marudu Hospital in Sabah has become another hospital designated to treat Covid-19 cases in the state, bringing the total number to seven, said Health director-general Tan Sri Noor Hisham Abdullah. In a Facebook posting, he said these hospitals with a capacity of 946 beds are designated to handle Covid-19 cases that require intensive care (category three to five) in the state.

'Sabah Deputy CM should take over from indisposed Hajiji amidst Covid crisis'

Sabah

An opposition leader here has called on one of Sabah's three Deputy Chief Ministers to take charge in strengthening the state healthcare system amidst the Covid-19 pandemic. Kota Kinabalu Member of Parliament Chan Foong Hin said the healthcare system must remain stable during tough times, and a Deputy Chief Minister should be prepared to temporarily take over the duties of the Chief Minister. Chief Minister Datuk Seri Hajiji Noor is currently receiving treatment in hospital for Covid-19.

JKNS ensuring Sabah healthcare system not disrupted by crisis

Sabah

There is congestion at indoor hospital wards here due to increased cases and screening, said Sabah Health director Datuk Dr Christina Rundi, today. She said hospital management need to open additional wards inside and outside. "This adds burden to healthcare staff who need to work fulltime to treat a large number of patients," she said in a statement.

More healthcare personnel deployed to Sabah

Sabah

The Health Ministry has deployed more healthcare personnel to Sabah in the on-going efforts to contain the Covid-19 outbreak in the state. Its director-general Tan Sri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said the ministry had mobilised seven nurses from the Kelantan Health Department to the Tawau Hospital in Sabah yesterday. The reinforcement team from Kelantan to Sabah was made up of two nurses each from Gua Musang Hospital and Tanah Merah Hospital as well as one nurse each from the Raja Perempuan Zainab II Hospital, Tengku Anis Hospital and Sultan Ismail Petra Hospital.

RM20 million in food aid for Sabah's 10 Covid-19 red zones

Sabah

The Sabah government is allocating RM2 million in immediate assistance to each Covid-19 red zone amidst a continuing surge in Covid-19 cases in the state. Sabah currently has 10 red zones: Tawau, Semporna, Lahad Datu, Kunak, Kota Kinabalu, Penampang, Putatan, Sandakan, Tuaran and Papar. The total RM20 million allocation will be in the form of food baskets which will be delivered to each red zone via its respective district disaster operational control centre (PKOB).

Man confirmed positive urged to seek treatment

Sabah

A man who tested positive for Covid-19 in the Telipok area, yesterday was asked to seek treatment at any nearby health clinic immediately. Kota Kinabalu district police chief ACP Habibi Majinji said the man fled after being asked to wait at the National Crisis Preparedness & Response Centre (CPRC) of the Kota Kinabalu Area Health Office to be taken to a hospital after getting the test results at the Telipok Health Clinic.

Report: Kota Kinabalu hospital’s ICU paralysed after nurse gets Covid-19, colleagues forced into quarantine

Sabah

Healthcare workers at the intensive care unit (ICU) of Queen Elizabeth II Hospital in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah are struggling to cope with their workload after over half the nurses in the department were forced to self-quarantine. Malaysiakini reported that 40 of the 66 nurses manning the ICU wards were quarantined after one of their colleagues tested positive for Covid-19.

Sabah Covid-19 labs too overwhelmed, Air Force to ferry samples to Peninsular Malaysia

Sabah

The Royal Malaysian Air Force (TUDM) will be mobilised to make daily flights to ferry the thousands of swab test samples of suspected Covid-19 carriers from Sabah to Peninsular Malaysia, Putrajaya said today. Senior Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said this move comes following appeal for help as the small number of laboratories in the state could no longer handle the volume of samples that have been coming in.

11 new cases in Sabah involve health officials

Sabah

11 new positive Covid-19 cases in Sabah last night involve health officials in six districts. Sabah health director Datuk Dr Christina Rundi said all affected officials are from Tawau (4 cases), Semporna (three) and one case each in Lahad Datu, Kota Kinabalu, Papar and Beluran respectively. According to a media statement, all cases are among the 219 new positive cases that were reported in Sabah as of last night, with Semporna recording 62 cases, Kota Kinabalu (42), Sandakan (33), Tawau (28), Papar (18), Ranau (seven), Putatan (five), Tambunan (four) and Penampang (three).

Sabah CVLB halts some public transport services amid CMCO

Sabah

All public transportation services, except taxis, e-hailing and food delivery, here, will be temporarily halted beginning tomorrow. Sabah Commercial Vehicle Licensing Board (CVLB) chairman Datuk Chin Kim Hiung said the suspension order was in line with the implementation of Conditional Movement Control Order (CMCO) in the state capital, Penampang and Putatan. Taxi or e-hailing services were allowed to operate between 6am and 8pm, while food delivery services hours were from 6am to 6pm.

CMCO: Education Ministry to close 122 schools in Sabah tomorrow

Sabah

The Ministry of Education (MoE) has decided that a total of 122 schools in the Kota Kinabalu, Penampang and Putatan areas in Sabah will be closed from tomorrow. It said in a statement today that the decision to close the 86 primary schools, 25 secondary schools and 11 private schools was taken following the government’s implementation of the conditional movement control order (CMCO) in the three areas effective 12.01am on October 7.

Tall order: Workers brave harsh climate to disinfect Mount Kinabalu trail after climber tests positive for Covid-19

Sabah

Seven workers clad in personal protective equipment sprayed down the trail of Mount Kinabalu with disinfectant thrice after a climber tested positive for Covid-19 recently. In a Facebook post on October 3, the Board of Trustees of Sabah Parks (LPATTS) shared photos of the disinfection works at various locations in Kinabalu Park, including the mountain summit which is 4,095 metres above sea level.

Ismail Sabri: Kota Kinabalu, Penampang and Putatan to start CMCO tomorrow midnight

Sabah

A conditional movement control order (CMCO) has been put in place for Kota Kinabalu, Penampang and Putatan districts in Sabah, which will start on October 7 at 12.01am. In a statement today, Senior Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said that this was decided in a special cabinet meeting among ministers, where they discussed the current situation of Covid-19 throughout the state of Sabah with the Ministry of Health(MOH) and Sabah’s state government.

All mini bus drivers in Sandakan to undergo Covid-19 test tomorrow

Sabah

Mini bus drivers here have been ordered to undergo Covid-19 tests at the Sandakan Community Hall tomorrow. Sabah Commercial Vehicle Licensing Board (CVLB) chairman Datuk Chin Kim Hiung said the Sandakan CVLB Office issued the directive following a request from the Sandakan Health Office today.

Minister’s political aide in Sabah hospital for Covid-19, sources say

Sabah

The political secretary to a federal minister was hospitalised in Sabah earlier this week after testing positive for Covid-19. Sources from Sabah told Malay Mail that the aide is also a Wanita Umno leader from the state who campaigned in Lahad Datu during the recently ended state election. “She is in stable condition, all the close contacts were screened,” said one source who spoke on condition of anonymity without elaborating.

Sabah police chief: Only Kota Kinabalu, Penampang and Putatan folk not bound by Covid-19 inter-district travel restriction

Sabah

Residents of Kota Kinabalu, Penampang and Putatan can move freely between the three districts when the inter-district travel restriction is enforced from 12.01am on October 3 to 16, said Sabah Police Commissioner Datuk Hazani Ghazali. “For now, only those living in Kota Kinabalu, Penampang and Putatan may travel within this three areas without any restriction, while those from other districts are not permitted entry,” he said.

No travel restriction for people in districts within city centre zone in Sabah

Sabah

There will be no travel restriction for the people within the districts of Tuaran, Kota Kinabalu, Penampang and Putatan which have been merged into a zone known as the City Centre Zone under the inter-district travel ban which will come into effect from 12.01 am tomorrow until Oct 16, Penampang Police chief DSP Mohd Haris Ibrahim clarified.