Malaysia Covid-19 Latest News

Tanjung market, fish market in Tawau temporarily closed

Sabah

The Tanjung Market and Tawau Fish Market have been temporarily closed after more than 10 traders tested positive for Covid-19 since last week. Tawau District Health Officer Dr G. Navindran said the closure order, issued and effective from yesterday, was to curb the spread of the virus among traders and customers of the markets. “We have asked the Tawau Municipal Council (MPT) to shut down both the markets and notices on the closures have been posted on the premises,” he said when contacted Bernama.

Screening tents at Queen Elizabeth Hospital not due to shortage of beds

Sabah

Screenings tents are set up at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital (HQE) for purpose of conducting Covid-19 screening and have no connection with the viralled issue on shortage of beds at the hospital’s Intensive Care Unit (ICU), said Sabah Health Director Datuk Dr Christina Rundi. She said preliminary screening and examination on patients are conducted by medical officers at the tents to prevent the spread of the virus to other patients who are receiving treatment at the same hospital or healthcare workers who share the same space.

2 residential areas in Lahad Datu district under EMCO

Sabah

The two residential areas in the Lahad Datu district will be placed under the Enhanced Movement Control Order (EMCO) starting 12.01am on Oct 13 until Oct 26. Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said the two residential areas were Taman Khazanah Indah and the Mutiara Kasih People's Housing Project (PPR). The Senior Defence Minister added a total of 5,452 residents would be affected by the EMCO.

Kota Marudu Hospital to treat Covid-19 cases in Sabah - Health DG

Sabah

The Kota Marudu Hospital in Sabah has become another hospital designated to treat Covid-19 cases in the state, bringing the total number to seven, said Health director-general Tan Sri Noor Hisham Abdullah. In a Facebook posting, he said these hospitals with a capacity of 946 beds are designated to handle Covid-19 cases that require intensive care (category three to five) in the state.

'Sabah Deputy CM should take over from indisposed Hajiji amidst Covid crisis'

Sabah

An opposition leader here has called on one of Sabah's three Deputy Chief Ministers to take charge in strengthening the state healthcare system amidst the Covid-19 pandemic. Kota Kinabalu Member of Parliament Chan Foong Hin said the healthcare system must remain stable during tough times, and a Deputy Chief Minister should be prepared to temporarily take over the duties of the Chief Minister. Chief Minister Datuk Seri Hajiji Noor is currently receiving treatment in hospital for Covid-19.

JKNS ensuring Sabah healthcare system not disrupted by crisis

Sabah

There is congestion at indoor hospital wards here due to increased cases and screening, said Sabah Health director Datuk Dr Christina Rundi, today. She said hospital management need to open additional wards inside and outside. "This adds burden to healthcare staff who need to work fulltime to treat a large number of patients," she said in a statement.

More healthcare personnel deployed to Sabah

Sabah

The Health Ministry has deployed more healthcare personnel to Sabah in the on-going efforts to contain the Covid-19 outbreak in the state. Its director-general Tan Sri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said the ministry had mobilised seven nurses from the Kelantan Health Department to the Tawau Hospital in Sabah yesterday. The reinforcement team from Kelantan to Sabah was made up of two nurses each from Gua Musang Hospital and Tanah Merah Hospital as well as one nurse each from the Raja Perempuan Zainab II Hospital, Tengku Anis Hospital and Sultan Ismail Petra Hospital.

RM20 million in food aid for Sabah's 10 Covid-19 red zones

Sabah

The Sabah government is allocating RM2 million in immediate assistance to each Covid-19 red zone amidst a continuing surge in Covid-19 cases in the state. Sabah currently has 10 red zones: Tawau, Semporna, Lahad Datu, Kunak, Kota Kinabalu, Penampang, Putatan, Sandakan, Tuaran and Papar. The total RM20 million allocation will be in the form of food baskets which will be delivered to each red zone via its respective district disaster operational control centre (PKOB).

Man confirmed positive urged to seek treatment

Sabah

A man who tested positive for Covid-19 in the Telipok area, yesterday was asked to seek treatment at any nearby health clinic immediately. Kota Kinabalu district police chief ACP Habibi Majinji said the man fled after being asked to wait at the National Crisis Preparedness & Response Centre (CPRC) of the Kota Kinabalu Area Health Office to be taken to a hospital after getting the test results at the Telipok Health Clinic.

Report: Kota Kinabalu hospital’s ICU paralysed after nurse gets Covid-19, colleagues forced into quarantine

Sabah

Healthcare workers at the intensive care unit (ICU) of Queen Elizabeth II Hospital in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah are struggling to cope with their workload after over half the nurses in the department were forced to self-quarantine. Malaysiakini reported that 40 of the 66 nurses manning the ICU wards were quarantined after one of their colleagues tested positive for Covid-19.

Sabah Covid-19 labs too overwhelmed, Air Force to ferry samples to Peninsular Malaysia

Sabah

The Royal Malaysian Air Force (TUDM) will be mobilised to make daily flights to ferry the thousands of swab test samples of suspected Covid-19 carriers from Sabah to Peninsular Malaysia, Putrajaya said today. Senior Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said this move comes following appeal for help as the small number of laboratories in the state could no longer handle the volume of samples that have been coming in.

11 new cases in Sabah involve health officials

Sabah

11 new positive Covid-19 cases in Sabah last night involve health officials in six districts. Sabah health director Datuk Dr Christina Rundi said all affected officials are from Tawau (4 cases), Semporna (three) and one case each in Lahad Datu, Kota Kinabalu, Papar and Beluran respectively. According to a media statement, all cases are among the 219 new positive cases that were reported in Sabah as of last night, with Semporna recording 62 cases, Kota Kinabalu (42), Sandakan (33), Tawau (28), Papar (18), Ranau (seven), Putatan (five), Tambunan (four) and Penampang (three).