All hawkers in markets in the city here and two other districts have tested negative for Covid-19, says Sabah Health Department director Datuk Dr Christina Rundi (pic).
She said Covid-19 tests were conducted on 534 hawkers at the main markets in Kota Kinabalu, interior Keningau, and east coast Kinabatangan.
She said the Health Department was continuing, in stages, Covid-19 tests for hawkers in other districts in the state in an effort to check the spread of the virus.
Dr Rundi added that so far, a total of 83,718 people in the state have been tested for Covid-19, of which 344 tested positive with 26 still under treatment at six hospitals.
After receiving complaints of “unsatisfactory conditions” of quarantine centres in Sabah, the state Health Department has now hit back with pictures of those in quarantine not cleaning up after themselves.
Attaching photos of strewn rubbish in the rooms and other areas of quarantine centres in her statement yesterday, Sabah Health Department director Datuk Dr Christina Rundi said it was everyone’s duty to maintain cleanliness.
The Sabah Health Department has chided individuals who had to undergo quarantine at the centres for leaving behind a mess.
Its director Datuk Dr Christina Rundi, who showed some photos of strewn rubbish in the rooms and other areas of a quarantine centre, said it was everyone's duty to maintain cleanliness.
A special team from the Sabah police will be making "house visits" to ensure that Hari Raya celebrants abide by rules of the conditional movement control order (MCO) and standard operating procedures (SOPs).
Sabah police commissioner Datuk Zaini Jass said some 7,000 personnel from the police, Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency (MMEA), Rela and other agencies would be involved in this operation.
Some tertiary students who are waiting for their turn to return to Sabah have been tested positive for Covid-19, says state Health Department director Datuk Dr Christina Rundi.
She said efforts are under way to track down the close contacts of these students who have arrived in Sabah earlier.
Meanwhile, two people in Kota Kinabalu have been taken to the state quarantine facilities after they breached their home quarantine.
Dr Rundi said they are part of 3,207 people placed in the various state provided quarantine centres in the state.
More than 20 staff members of Hospital Tuaran have to be quarantined after a patient was tested positive for Covid-19 on Tuesday.
State Health Department director Datuk Dr Christina Rundi said several sections of the hospital needed to be disinfected as well.
She said this was part of the SOP when dealing with Covid-19 cases.
More than 20 employees at the Tuaran Hospital have to be quarantined after a patient tested positive for Covid-19 on May 19.
Sabah Health director Datuk Dr Christina Rundi said parts of the hospital had to be disinfected as well.
She said this was part of the standard operating procedures (SOP) when dealing with Covid-19 cases.
Not all Sabah students at institutions of higher learning in peninsular Malaysia and Sarawak could be brought back in time for Hari Raya Aidilfitri and Kaamatan celebration this month.
State Education and Innovation Minister Datuk Dr Yusof Yacob said that they were unable to bring them back in time for the celebrations due to technical matters and requirements to meet standard operating procedures.
“It was our aim to bring them back before Hari Raya and Kaamatan (May 30-31), but it couldn't be done, ” he told reporters at the Kota Kinabalu International Airport where a group of students returned on a chartered flight Wednesday (May 20).
The Tuaran district hospital here is still operating as usual despite rumours that 22 of its staff have been quarantined following contact with a Covid-19 positive patient.
Although one of six new cases in Sabah yesterday is from Tenghilan near here, the hospital director Dr G. Mohan Gopal Naidoo denied that the quarantine measure taken on its staff was directly associated with it.
"The quarantine of staff at INTAN campus here was a normal procedure undertaken by those who work in the frontlines. It does not necessary mean they have been infected after contact with a patient positive for Covid-19," he said.
A total of 1,933 students will return to Sabah via four flights from Kuala Lumpur and Sarawak this week, in time for Hari Raya Aidilfitri and Kaamatan celebrations.
Today, 1,027 students are expected to arrive in the state after having undergone Covid-19 test and were allowed to go home. Another 906 students will be flown home tomorrow.
On Monday, the state government had put on hold students' flights following inadequate temporary quarantine centres to house 6,796 returning students should they be asked to undergo isolation upon arrival.
Conditions at Sabah’s quarantine centres continue to be a bugbear as state health officials ask those under quarantine to be patient and not to expect the comforts of their homes or a hotel.
Amid a firestorm of complaints on social media about the conditions at some of the quarantine centres, Sabah Health Department director Datuk Dr Christina Rundi said the facilities were not built specifically for quarantine purposes and should not be equated with a home or hotel room.
Some 300 people including children were moved to a hotel in Semporna after it was found that their quarantine centre at Bubul Ria PPR housing lacked proper facilities.
Chief Minister Datuk Seri Mohd Shafie Apdal ordered that they be shifted to a local hotel to complete their two-week quarantine after some of them complained of poor facilities with some forced to clean up the house after they were sent there.
Parti Warisan Sabah secretary Husman Mastal said on Tuesday (May 19) that Shafie made the order to shift the quarantined people to a better facility after he was informed of the conditions of the quarantine centre in Semporna.
Senior Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob today said that authorities are revising the standard operating procedure (SOP) at quarantine centres in Sabah following lack of space in the facilities. He said the SOP needed to be revised before 7,384 students return back to their hometown in Sabah. Ismail Sabri said the lack of space in quarantine centres was the reason the Sabah government had agreed to allow certain students to complete their mandatory 14 day quarantine at home, instead of at the designated centres.
The flights bringing tertiary students back to Sabah have been postponed from Monday (May 18) and will be rescheduled.
Sabah Education and Innovation Minister Datuk Dr Yusof Yacob (pic) said the rescheduling was to facilitate the process of sending the students to quarantine centres in the state.
Malaysians in essential services and those needing to enter Sabah on official matters are urged to get approval by submitting a form provided by the Chief Minister’s department.
State Health Department director Datuk Dr Christina Rundi said these application forms for approval could be obtained via https://forms.gle/GfQBdvBDDZXp9JyH8.
Sabahans are advised to celebrate the Kaamatan festival symbolically instead of hosting parties, says the Kadazan Society of Sabah.
Its secretary-general Batholomew Jingulam said although the government had allowed for the harvest festival to be celebrated on the first day with only 20 people or less, it was not advisable to do so.
"Infections can happen in seconds – what more spending some time with people who are infected," he said when contacted Saturday (May 16).
Malaysians in essential services and those needing to enter Sabah on official matters are urged to get approval by filling up an approval form at the chief minister’s department beforehand.
Sabah Health Department director Datuk Dr Christina Rundi (pic) said the approval application forms could be obtained via https://forms.gle/GfQBdvBDDZXp9JyH8.
She said it would make it easier and faster for them to enter Sabah if they complete the forms and prepare the required documents, including Covid-19 test results.
Members of the public who wish to enter Sabah for essential services and official duty must obtain approval from the Chief Minister’s Department by filling up the special approval form online.
She said individuals seeking entry into Sabah were also advised to contact the Sabah Health Department’s Crisis Preparedness and Response Centre (CPRC) at 088-219455.
Dr Christina also advised all individuals returning to Sabah to practice social distancing, wear face mask and to ensure that symptoms and body temperature were continuously monitored.
The Sabah Health Department (JKNS) advises those who plan to return to the state during the conditional movement control order (CMCO) to postpone their travel, if possible.
Sabah Health Director Datuk Dr Christina Rundi said if such travel cannot be deffered, the travellers must practice preventive measures.
“These include adhering to social distancing regulations, wearing face mask at all times, maintain hand hygiene and practice correct coughing etiquette. They must also undergo screening for symptoms and body temperature check at the boarding gate,” she said in a statement here today.
The detection of Covid-19 cases among students returning here has prompted the Sabah government to implement a mandatory 14-day quarantine at gazetted centres for all returnees.
According to Sabah Health Department director Datuk Dr Christina Rundi, the move was also due to the failure of some students to fully observe their home quarantine periods.
“Following the spike in the number of cases from returning Sabahans and the non-compliance from those required to undergo home quarantine, we are amending the SOP to curb the spreading of the virus.
A total of 396 passengers who flew on two AirAsia Kuala Lumpur-Tawau flights have been told get tested again for Covid-19 immediately after six passengers tested positive for the disease.
Tawau Area 2 health officer Dr Suzalinna Sulaiman urged passengers of AirAsia flight AK5742 on May 1 and AK5740 on May 4 to undergo the test immediately.
“Based on records, 156 passengers were on flight AK5742 where four people have been found Covid-19 positive, while a total of 246 passengers were on AK5740 where two people have been found positive, ” she added.
Three varsity students here are expected to be charged in court for flouting the home quarantine order.
The trio were previously ordered to undergo 14-day quarantine upon arrival from Kuala Lumpur on May 1 and 4 respectively.
District health officer Dr Suzalinna Sulaiman said based on observation, all three had gone out from their houses without a valid reason.
A student became the first Covid-19 positive case detected at a local university here.
Sabah Health Department director Datuk Dr Christina Rundi said that the detection came when they carried out screening of all students before they were allowed to return to their homes.
"It was detected at a local university as part of screening to manage the movement of students in Sabah," she said in a statement here Wednesday (May 13).
Sabah recorded 10 new Covid-19 cases on Monday (May 11), a hike from one or zero cases reported daily in the past few weeks.
Sabah Health and People’s Wellbeing Minister Datuk Frankie Poon said the 10 people were those who had returned to the state over the past few days.“Their families and close contacts have been taken to quarantine centres while the students are being treated in hospitals,” he said when contacted.
Shopping malls and fashion boutiques around the state capital are found to be adhering to the standard operating procedures (SOP) after reopening their businesses on Monday (May 11).
One - Jakel Silk House - even adopted a numbering system where only 25 persons are allowed into the shop at one time.
Owner Amran Mohd Nor said the numbering system allows them to better control the number of customers in their store at a time.
Domestic tourism, sports and recreational activities, as well as professional services, are among the latest sectors to be relaxed in Sabah’s fifth stage of the movement control order (MCO).
Chief Minister Datuk Seri Mohd Shafie Apdal said these sectors were allowed to operate starting yesterday.
Activities allowed to resume are domestic tourism which includes accommodation, adventure and recreation, food and beverage, as well as ticketing services. Environmental, wildlife and park activities, be it for recreational, surveillance or research purposes, can proceed as well.
Domestic tourism, sports and recreational activities, as well as professional services sectors, are among the latest sectors to be opened up in Sabah’s fifth phase of movement control order (MCO).
Sabah Chief Minister Datuk Seri Mohd Shafie Apdal said these sectors are allowed to operate starting May 10 (Sunday).
Parts of domestic tourism allowed to operate include accommodation, adventure and recreation, food and beverages, ticketing services and so on.
Eateries in the state capital here are taking a wait-and-see approach when it comes to dine-ins – even though the state government gave the green light for them to resume operations on Saturday (May 9).