Sabah is recording fewer daily Covid-19 cases by the day, but it is not yet time for anyone to be complacent, says Datuk Frankie Poon.
The state Health and People’s Wellbeing minister said although a person who contracted the virus would have shown signs of it within 14,28 or 42 days, there were asymptomatic cases.
“Those who are asymptomatic can still pass the virus to others easily and we would not know, ” he said after receiving the second batch of donations worth RM150,000 from China through the Ma-Zhong Friendship Association Sabah here.
China’s eight-member medical expert team is expected to arrive in Sabah tomorrow (April 28) to share its experiences in fighting the Covid-19 pandemic, said Sabah Health and People’s Wellbeing Minister Datuk Frankie Poon Ming Fung.
“We welcome them and look forward to meeting them as we believe we can learn from their experiences in addressing the pandemic issue during their two-day stay,” he said. Poon told reporters this after receiving 48,000 pieces of 3-ply face masks; 2,000 pieces of KN95 masks; 900 pieces of N95 masks; and five thermometers from the Ma Zhong Friendship Association of Sabah at Wisma Tun Fuad Stephens here today.
The Sabah government has praised law enforcement personnel involved in recent arrests of suspects involved in wildlife poaching in central Sabah’s Tongod district and east coast Tawau.
Deputy Chief Minister Datuk Christina Liew (pic) said the actions of the police, Rela, Sabah Wildlife Department (SWD) rangers and Yayasan Sabah's Wildlife wardens had helped to nab suspects involved in wildlife trade during the movement control order (MCO).
While there is still no vaccine for the Covid-19 virus, parents are urged to ensure their children are vaccinated according to national requirements.
In line with the World Immunization Week from April 24 to 30, Sabah Health Department director Datuk Dr Christina Rundi said there are other types of vaccines for other health threats that should be followed.
Teachers, especially those teaching in rural and remote schools here, are face with challenges of ensuring that the online Learning and Facilitating process (PdPc) runs smoothly during the movement control order (MCO) period.
This is because some of their students, especially those living on islands and plantations, do not have efficient internet access, apart from not having facilities like computer, smartphone or other mobile devices that can facilitate the delivery process of online PdPc sessions.
Wildlife officials are calling on the public to keep an eye out for illegal hunters operating during the movement control order (MCO) period, as cases seem to be on the rise.
Sabah Wildlife Department director Augustine Tuuga said there is evidence to show that there is an increase in illegal hunting around Sabah due to the restricted movement of rangers. He said wildlife rangers are not allowed to conduct patrols and raids as usual during the MCO period, and can only operate if there is concrete evidence of illegal activities going on.
“That is why we need cooperation and help from the public to inform us if they know of any illegal hunting or sales of protected species going on, ”
Eighty-six Malaysians and their 22 Indonesian next-of-kin were ferried here today from Nunukan, Indonesia, where they had been stranded since last month due to the Covid-19 travel restriction.
The 46 males and 62 females, including 18 children, all aged between two and 70, arrived at the ferry terminal here at about 11am in an express ferry from the Nunukan port, escorted by a security forces vessel.
The 22 Indonesians are the husbands, wives or parents of the spouses of Malaysians.
Sabah Immigration director Datuk Muhamad Sade has denied a report claiming he berated health officials when they issued him with a home quarantine notice upon returning from Peninsular Malaysia.
Muhamad said there was a misunderstanding over the matter and how it was handled when he returned on April 16.
There are only 104 active Covid-19 cases at six hospitals in Sabah, said state Health Department (JKNS) director Datuk Dr Christina Rundi.
She said seven people were discharged yesterday, which raises the tally of recovered cases in the state to 200 out of 308 infections.
Three succumbed to Covid-19, while another is classified as a case being investigated by the police.
No new Covid-19 cases have been recorded in Sabah over the past 48 hours but some samples have not been tested yet or are still pending results.
Sabah Health Department director Datuk Dr Christina Rundi said the number of cases remains at 308 as of April 22, but the public should know this does not reflect the actual Covid-19 situation, as there were samples still being processed.
Sabah health union members want a wider spectrum of healthcare staff to be entitled to the special Covid-19 allowance given to medical frontliners.
Sabah Medical Services Union president Ajulahin Japin said it was unfortunate that a group of healthcare workers had been left out due to a narrow interpretation of the term "frontliners".
Five Covid-19 patients who were reported to have recovered in Sandakan and Kinabatangan were have been found to be still infected by the virus in a follow-up test two days later.
This followed reports on April 18 quoting the state's Health Department, which stated that 19 patients in Sandakan and 16 in Kinabatangan had recovered.
Gleneagles Hospital Kota Kinabalu has quarantined all staff who handled a Covid-19 positive woman who underwent emergency surgery there last week.
The hospital said in a statement on Tuesday (April 21) that the woman was transferred to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital 1 immediately after her test results were received on April 17.
It added that the 55-year-old Malaysian woman was swabbed before the emergency surgery was carried out.
Nine business premises in Sandakan have been ordered to close after they were found to be in defiant with the movement control order (MCO).
Sabah State Health Department director Datuk Dr Christina Rundi said the premises were among the 946 outlets inspected statewide in an integrated operation led by the department's Inspectorate and Legal Unit on Sunday (April 19).
Sabah’s big migrant population is a growing concern as health authorities battle Covid-19 in the state.
Social workers believe that more needs to be done to screen these migrants, who are scattered across Sabah, from the plantations to the urban areas.
Health and People’s Well-being Minister Datuk Frankie Poon said the authorities were aware of public concerns about the migrants in places declared as virus hotspots.
For example, he said medical authorities moved in on Pulau Gaya off the city here last month to screen the islanders after three cases were detected among some of its residents.
The Sabah State Communication office in Kuala Lumpur has so far processed a total of 14,414 Covid-19 aid applications for Peninsular-based Sabahans from the B40 group.
State secretary Datuk Safar Untong said those eligible would receive a one-off RM300 payment.
Malaysia's largest palm oil producing state, Sabah, has temporarily halted palm operations in one area after 11 cases of the Covid-19 (coronavirus) were found there, the Bernama state news agency reported on Sunday (April 19).
Police are enhancing the enforcement of the Movement Control Order (MCO) in Felda Sahabat, Tungku near here following the detection of 11 Covid-19 positive cases in the area so far. Lahad Datu district police chief ACP Nasri Mansor said following the instruction from the District Disaster Management Committee, no public movement is allowed in the area.
This directive is enforced until all residents in the Felda settlement are tested and disinfection exercise is completed, he said in a statement.
More than half of Sabah's Covid-19 patients have recovered as of April 18.
Sabah Health Department director Datuk Dr Christina Rundi said out of the 303 positive cases, 168 have recovered while the death toll remains at four.
The Sabah Health Department has denied that the Women and Children’s Hospital in Likas has been closed as alleged in a viral message on WhatsApp.
State Health Department director Datuk Dr Christina Rundi said only one ward at the hospital had been placed under quarantine to prevent the spread of Covid-19.
“During this period, no new patients are admitted to the ward while all its staff are currently under quarantine at designated facilities, ” she said in a statement.
Police are looking for a Filipino man who fled after being told to undergo quarantine at theCovid-19 quarantine centre at Felda Residence Sahabat 16 here yesterday.
Lahad Datu police chief ACP Nasri Mansor said the 30-year-old man, known as Jul, fled after undergoing a Covid-19 screening test at the Felda Sahabat Health Clinic at 9am.
The Sabah Health Department today denied that the Women and Children’s Hospital (HWKKS) in Likas was closed as alleged in a viral message on WhatsApp since yesterday.
State Health director Dr Christina Rundi said only one ward at the hospital had been placed under quarantine to prevent the spread of Covid-19 at HWKKS.
Mass testing for Covid-19 among the general public will be the best way forward to go beyond the movement control order (MCO), says state Health and Well-being Minister Datuk Frankie Poon.
He said the use of rapid tests could be carried out on targeted groups, before other members of the general public are tested.
Inter-district movements of farm and livestock produce in Sabah will be allowed during the movement control order, state secretary Datuk Safar Untong (pic) said.
He said the Sabah Covid-19 command centre permitted inter-district movement of all goods and essential services from 6am to 6pm daily during the current MCO period that ends on April 28.
He said commercial vehicles carrying essential goods must only have the allowed number of workers in the vehicle as stated in the permit.
Printed study materials will be sent to students with limited or no Internet connection in Sabah's rural Pensiangan district, 170km from here.
Pensiangan district education officer Norah Marcus said from a survey conducted by Education Department officials, only about 30% of students in the district had Internet access. Recently, Sabah Education Department director Mistirine Radin said from their survey, only about 60% of students statewide had Internet access.
And not all with access had stable Internet connections.
Medical staff infected the Covid-19 virus in Sabah are from two main clusters — Keningau Hospital and the Women and Children’s Hospital (HWKK) in Likas, says Sabah Health Department director Datuk Dr Christina Rundi.
She said of the 11 medical staff infected with the virus, eight were based in the HWKK and the rest in Keningau.
Dr Rundi urged the public not to worry as they had already instructed those involved to either be quarantined (home or at state provided facilities), and for samples to be taken of their close contacts including colleagues and family members.
Two new positive Covid-19 cases on Thursday (April 16) in Kota Kinabalu has made the state capital here a red zone, says Datuk Frankie Poon said.
The Sabah Health and Public Well-being minister said with 42 positive cases in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah now has two red zones.
The other was the southwestern Tawau district.
He said eight other districts remained free of the virus that has killed four people in the state.