Sandakan will be placed under the movement control order (MCO) from April 17-30 after a spike in Covid-19 cases in the district, says Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob.
The Senior Minister (Security) said that a cumulative of 6,806 cases have been reported in the district, with 78 cases reported in the last 14 days.
He said that after a risk assessment of the situation, the government decided to place Sandakan in Sabah under the MCO.
Two new Covid-19 clusters in Sabah are community-linked, involving social functions.
State Covid-19 spokesman Datuk Seri Masidi Manjun said the first was the Tabanak cluster in Lahad Datu involving a 39-year-old symptomatic man who tested positive for Covid-19 on April 9.
"The index case had attended a funeral on March 30 at Kampung Tabanak. Following the confirmation, his family members and close contacts were also screened, 14 were found to be positive, 27 negative and the rest are still waiting for results," he said in a statement, today.
He added that the positive cases are either receiving treatment at the hospital or being quarantined at a centre in the district.
At least 15 individuals in the duty-free island here have been fined RM5,000 each for making interstate travel without police permission, said Labuan deputy police chief Supt Mohd Ibrahim Mohd Ghani.
He said they were caught upon arrival from mainland Sabah between March 5 and April 11.
“We issued them a compound of RM5,000 each under the Prevention and Control of Infectious Diseases Act or Act 342.
“We certainly know that the virus doesn’t have any geographical boundaries, so any (uncontrolled) mixing of communities through travel can increase the spread of Covid-19,” he told Bernama today.
A two-week Movement Control Order (MCO) will be implemented in Lahad Datu, Sabah following an exponential spike in Covid-19 cases in the district.
Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said the MCO will commence tomorrow (April 11) till April 24.
"Health Ministry informed that a total of 103 Covid-19 positive cases recorded in the district over the past two weeks while 49 samples are still pending results.
"Health Ministry also confirmed that there is an exponential spike in cases with high infectivity rate in Lahad Datu.
Two Covid-19 clusters and 139 new cases with one death were recorded in Sabah on Friday (April 9).
The two new clusters are the Sim-Sim cluster (14 new cases) and Batu Lima Jalan Sibuga cluster with a new case, both in Sandakan.
Minister in charge of Covid-19 matters in Sabah, Datuk Masidi Manjun said for the Sim-Sim cluster, which has a total of 15 cases, the index case is a patient who was believed to have attended a birthday party on April 3.
“As for the Jalan Sibuga cluster, which has a total of eight cases, the index case is from a hostel of a public higher learning institution, ” he said during his daily Covid-19 briefing.
Sabah will receive another 12,000 doses of the Covid-19 Pfizer BioNTech vaccine today, the seventh delivery after the first one on Feb 25 under phase one of the National Covid-19 Immunisation Programme.
It is understood that this batch of the vaccine is scheduled to arrive via Kota Kinabalu International Airport today (evening).
Sabah Health director Datuk Dr Christina Rundi said as of yesterday, Sabah had received over 100,000 doses of the Covid-19 Pfizer BioNTech vaccine and out of the number, more than 79,000 doses had been administered to people in the state.
“To ensure the immunisation programme runs smoothly, the Covid-19 vaccine delivery will be done periodically and well-organised, following the schedule drawn up meticulously by the Health Ministry.
The Sabah government has decided to ban Ramadan bazaars this year, said state Covid-19 spokesman Datuk Seri Masidi Manjun.
He said this was decided based on the fact that the Covid-19 situation in Sabah was still unstable.
He also noted the emergence of several new clusters triggered by social gatherings and events, as well as low level compliance of existing Standard Operating Procedures (SOP).
Today, Sabah recorded 60 new infections and 53 recovery cases. No new cluster was detected.
Sabah has dispensed a total of 67,808 Covid-19 vaccine doses as of April 1 under the National Covid-19 Immunisation Programme but said it is running behind in terms of registration.
Chief Minister Datuk Seri Hajiji Noor said the number of people who have registered to receive the vaccine is woefully behind, despite mobilisation teams grassroots efforts.
“Only 12.4 per cent or 362,514 people of the targeted 2.9 million in Sabah have registered as of April 4.
“Therefore, I urge all quarters to be committed and register for the vaccine,” he said at the engagement session with the Covid-19 Emergency Technical Management Committee at Magellan Sutera here Monday.
Three new Covid-19 clusters in Sabah were caused by people not observing standard operating procedures (SOP), says Datuk Seri Masidi Manjun.
"Nearly all the new clusters have been triggered by the public failing to observe the SOP set by authorities," said Masidi, who is in charge of Covid-19 matters in the state.
As Sabah continues to see improving overall figures, Masidi, who is also state Local Government and Housing Minister, said it was important for every member of the public to observe the SOP strictly as it was key towards bringing the pandemic under control.
Sabah recorded three new clusters on Friday as the Tawau district will be under movement control order from Saturday (April 3) to April 13. A total of 137 cumulative cases have been recorded in the district.
The second batch of 600 doses of Sinovac’s Covid-19 vaccine from Kuala Lumpur arrived at the Labuan Airport today, for use in phase two of the island’s vaccination programme.
Labuan Covid-19 Immunisation Task Force (CITF) chairman Rithuan Ismail said the committee is requesting the government to start Labuan’s phase two vaccination earlier than the scheduled April 19.
“We hope we can kick off phase two of the vaccination exercise earlier than the schedule,” he told Bernama.
Meanwhile, Labuan Health Department director Dr Ismuni Bohari said phase two of the vaccination programme would involve an estimated 27,000 people including the second layer of frontliners.
Two areas in Sabah will be placed under an enhanced movement control order from April 2 to 15, says Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob (pic).
The Senior Minister (Security) said the government had decided to enforce the enhanced MCO in Kampung Rimbayan, Keningau, Sabah following a rapid rise of cases, adding that the infectivity rate in the community was also high.
As of March 31, he noted that the Health Ministry had screened 301 individuals in the area and 29 tested positive for the virus.
He also said that Kampung Simpang 3A, Merotai Besar in Tawau, Sabah would be placed under enhanced MCO.
Four districts in Sabah remained Covid-19 green zones on Wednesday (March 24), while 16 districts were categorised as yellow zones.
Two districts are orange zones and five more red zones, said state Local Government and Housing Minister Datuk Seri Masidi Manjun.
The zone changes are Kota Belud from orange to red, while Kudat improved from orange to yellow, he said in his daily Covid-19 update statement.
"As for daily cases, Sabah recorded 45 new cases today, with no fatalities," he added.