Our site needs your support to continue its operation. Paypal

Malaysia Covid-19 Latest News

Noticeably apart in the House

Sabah

Social distancing marked the opening for the first sitting of the Sabah state assembly for 2020 with Yang DiPertua Negeri Tun Juhar Mahiruddin delivering the opening speech. The ministers, government backbenchers and opposition members sat a metre away from each other at the state assembly hall in compliance with the movement restriction order (MCO). The assembly will also comply with the restriction that not more than 50 people gather, said Chief Minister Datuk Seri Mohd Shafie Apdal.

Sabah to come up with second economic stimulus package

Sabah

The Sabah Government is preparing an Economic Stimulus Package to boost growth and strengthen the state economy following the Covid-19 outbreak, said Yang di-Pertua Negeri Sabah Tun Juhar Mahiruddin. He said the main objective of the second package was to boost the confidence of investors and the business community in the economic growth of the state once the movement control order (MCO) is lifted.

Sabah CM eyes food security in case MCO extended

Sabah

Sabah is planning to boost its food security for the eventuality that the movement control order (MCO) is extended, said Datuk Seri Shafie Apdal. The chief minister said his administration wanted to wean the state of its reliance on food imports. “We have to look into food security – agriculture, fisheries, fruits – all of that is needed. The lockdown could be until May, June. Even if export is not encouraged, we will need adequate supply.

Sabah to focus on sectors that ensure food security

Sabah

Sabah government will prioritise food security once the Movement Control Order (MCO) is lifted. State Chief Minister Datuk Seri Mohd Shafie Apdal said there were drafted plans on which sectors to focus, but he only disclosed food being of utmost importance. “Early this year, the state government had approved almost 10,000 acres of paddy cultivation at Sapi Canal in Sandakan.

Shafie: MCO helping to check spread of Covid-19 in Sabah

Sabah

Measures taken in Sabah to check the spread of Covid-19 are seeing positive results, says Chief Minister Datuk Seri Mohd Shafie Apdal. He said the state is faring well so far in ensuring that the infectious virus did not spread, due to various measures under the movement control order (MCO). “For a big state like ours, nine of our 26 districts remain green zones (Covid-19 free) which I believe is a good indication that our measures are working, ” he told reporters on Wednesday (April 15) after giving out special state assistance for colleges and universities in Sabah.

Affluent homes getting food aid? Nobody said 'no', says Sri Tanjung rep

Sabah

Pictures of food aid being given to those who were living in seemingly affluent houses in Tawau have stirred up a storm on social media. The pictures, which have gone viral, show food aid being distributed to people living in a housing estate in the Sri Tanjung constituency, with many questioning why assistance was given to those who could afford to buy their own food.

Sabah Health Dept: Be honest and cooperate with us

Sabah

Health officials are calling for full cooperation from Covid-19 patients, especially those categorised under the sporadic cluster so that the source of transmission can be traced and contained, says Sabah Health director Datuk Dr Christina Rundi (pic). She said it was hard to find the source and curb the spread of the disease without accurate data and information. "For example, out of the 11 positive cases that we detected in Penampang, nine of them are sporadic, while two are the contacts of these patients.

Sabah vegetables for Kuala Lumpur market soon, says state Agriculture Minister

Sabah

Sabah is expected to export some 35 tonnes of highland vegetables to markets in Kuala Lumpur with smoother transportation of goods out of the Kundasang district. State Agriculture and Food Industry Minister Datuk Junz Wong said Monday (April 13) that they were working with the state Federal Agricultural Marketing Authority (Fama) office to facilitate the buying and exporting of the vegetables.

Two joggers slapped with RM1,000 fine each for breaching MCO

Sabah

Two women were arrested for jogging at a public park in Sandakan. The duo were caught jogging at the Tyang recreational park at around 6am Monday (April 13), and taken to the police station, said Sandakan district police chief Asst Comm Mohd Azhar Hamin. He said they were each issued a RM1,000 compound under the Prevention and Control of Infectious Diseases Act 1988.

Manhunt for seven Menggatal detention centre escapees

Sabah

Police are tracking down seven Filipino men who escaped from the Menggatal Temporary Detention Centre (PTS) near here yesterday. Kota Kinabalu police chief, ACP Habibi Majinji said all the suspects aged 12 to 50 were among 18 Filipinos who attempted to break out of the centre at about 3.30pm.

Foreign workers reaching out to social workers for aid

Sabah

Foreign workers are struggling to meet their daily food ration needs, as the movement control order (MCO) continues. These foreign labourers are seeking assistance from social workers, as their employers show little signs of helping them with either cash or rations to tide them over the MCO period till April 28.

Suicide victim in Pulau Gaya tests positive for Covid-19

Sabah

The body of an unidentified man who was found hanging from a tree in Kampung Pondo, Pulau Gaya, here on April 6, was found positive for Covid-19.

Manhunt for seven Menggatal Detention Centre escapees

Sabah

Police are tracking down seven Filipino men who escaped from the Menggatal Temporary Detention Centre (PTS) near here yesterday. Kota Kinabalu police chief, ACP Habibi Majinji (pix) said all the suspects aged 12 to 50 were among 18 Filipinos who attempted to break out of the centre at about 3.30pm.

Sabah farmer distributing vegetables for free rather than letting them go to waste

Sabah

Simon Leong is doing all he can to assist fellow Kundasang farmers to peddle their vegetables, which are going unsold during the Movement Control Order (MCO). A Twitter video documenting Leong’s campaign has gone viral since it was uploaded by his friend, Shahrizal Denci, on April 10.

22 Armed Forces personnel and family members in Sabah under quarantine

Sabah

The Malaysian Armed Forces has confirmed that 22 of its personnel in Sabah and their family members have been quarantined for 14 days after possible exposure to Covid-19.

22 ATM personnel, family members in Sabah under quarantine

Sabah

The Malaysian Armed Forces (ATM) has confirmed that 22 of its personnel in Sabah and their family members have been quarantined for 14 days after suspected of being exposed to Covid-19. General Officer Commanding of the 5th Division Infantry, Major General Datuk Muhammad Hafizuddeain Jantan noted that six of them were categorised under Patient Under Investigation (PUI), while the remaining were listed as Patient Under Surveillance (PUS).

Health Department shuts six Sandakan businesses for not obeying rules during MCO

Sabah

Six business premises here were closed by the Health Department for failing to comply with health and safety regulations to curb the spread of Covid-19. Sabah Health director Datuk Christina Rundi (pic) said the six businesses ordered to close on Saturday (April 11) were four factories, a restaurant and a sundry shop in Sandakan. Sabah has a total of 260 Covid-19 cases with three deaths as of Saturday (April 11).

Sabah orders immediate closure of Foh Sang Market due to overcrowding

Sabah

The state government today decided not to allow the Foh Sang Market in Luyang here to operate during the duration of the movement control order (MCO). Sabah state secretary Datuk Safar Untong in a statement today said the decision was taken due to the daily overcrowding occurring at the market. “Therefore, the state government took note of the overcrowding at the market and decided not to allow it to operate during the MCO period,” he said.

Covid-19: Over 200,000 people screened in Sabah to date

Sabah

Sabah has screened a total of 231,980 people for Covid-19 as of Thursday (April 9), out of which 16,654 samples have been taken for testing. Sabah Health Department director Datuk Dr Christina Rundi said the 1,866 tests were carried out on April 9 itself. She said state health officials are thankful for the donations in the form of personal protection equipment (PPE) which would boost their morale during these tough times.

Sabah allows oil palm industry to operate

Sabah

The Sabah state government has decided to allow oil palm plantations and mills to reopen during the movement control order (MCO) period under strict conditions. A statement issued by the Chief Minister’s Office said that they have agreed to allow the industry to continue in Sabah’s east coast district provided they fulfil the conditions.

Nurse talks about experiences looking after Covid-19 patients

Sabah

The experience of treating those infected with Covid-19 from the Tabligh congregation cluster has left a profound impression on a young nurse. Natalia Aivy Dibit, 27, admitted she was initially angry with those who attended the Tabligh event, assuming the group was the cause of the Covid-19 spike in Labuan.

Sabah receives three million face masks from Federal Govt

Sabah

Sabah received three million face masks from the Federal Government that will be distributed to every home in the state. Sabah State Secretary Datuk Safar Untung said that the face masks were flown in on a special flight by the Royal Malaysia Air Force as part of federal assistance to the people in the state.

Sabah quarantine centre shuttered after public brickbats

Sabah

A nurses hostel used as a quarantine centre here has been closed by authorities following complaints of poor conditions, says Sabah Health Department director Datuk Dr Christina Rundi. She said the Harrington nurses hostel opposite the Queen Elizabeth Hospital was shut following criticisms about conditions there. She said they were currently using a hostel at the Health Ministry’s Training Institute in Bukit Padang as a quarantine centre.

Sabah records third death

Sabah

Sabah has recorded its third Covid-19 death after a retired senior civil servant died at the hospital here on Friday (April 10). State Health and People’s Wellbeing Minister Frankie Poon confirmed that the former civil servant, in his 60s, died at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital around 8am. It was learned that the latest victim had attended the tabligh gathering at Seri Petaling Mosque in Selangor.

Long queues at Beluran's sole bank

Sabah

Beluran folks are calling on relevant quarters to look into the need of improving banking facilities in the district for easy financial access especially during these hard times. The district has only one bank branch, making it crowded as people flock to withdraw their funds in times of emergency.

Borneo International Marathon cancelled, refunds underway

Sabah

The 2020 Borneo International Marathon (BM2020) scheduled for June in Sabah has been cancelled in light of the global Covid-19 pandemic. BM2020’s organising committee said while this came as a disappointment for both runners who have trained for months and the Sabah charitable bodies they were raising funds for, its top priority was to ensure a safe and healthy environment for everyone involved.

Special team in Sabah conducts tests on Covid-19 samples after receiving lab equipment

Sabah

A special team has started conducting tests on samples of Covid-19 cases at the Public Health Laboratory on Wednesday (April 8), after receiving the needed lab equipment. Sabah Health Department director Datuk Dr Christina Rundi said these are some of the updates on what the department and health officials are doing in the bid to fight against the pandemic. She said the department had also seen a total of 4,473 healthcare workers and public receive the mental health and psychosocial support services (MHPSS) statewide.

Greens from Kundasang can now be transported out

Sabah

Steps are already in place for highland vegetables from Kundasang to be transported to the main markets in Sabah, Sarawak, Brunei and Peninsular Malaysia, says state Agriculture and Food Industry Minister Datuk Junz Wong. A mechanism has been put in place that will allow 58 farmers and wholesalers from the Kundasang area to send out their produce to Kota Kinabalu and the east coast towns of Sandakan and Tawau.