Datuk Christina Liew has urged residents of Tawau to exercise vigilance and comply with the Movement Control Order's (MCO) standard operating procedures to ensure that the district moves out of the Covid-19 red zone category.
Liew, who is Tawau member of parliament, said it was disheartening that the district had slipped into the red zone after being categorised as a yellow zone in the first few days this month.
The shift to red zone status was due to the emergence of the Jalan Chester cluster, a workplace cluster involving a jewellery store, which has a total of 10 cases presently.
In line with the Federal government's announcement, the Sabah government has allowed hair salons and car wash centres to reopen for business.
However, in a statement released by the state Local Government and Housing Ministry on Thursday (Feb 4), night markets are still not allowed to operate in Sabah.
Night markets have been allowed to resume operations elsewhere by the Federal government.
Minister Datuk Seri Masidi Manjun (pic) said the car wash and salon sectors, which involve micro businesses, were allowed to operate with strict standard operating procedure (SOP) in place starting Friday (Feb 5).
Less than a quarter of the 118,376 foreign workers have undergone Covid-19 testing, says state Covid-19 spokesman Datuk Masidi Manjun.
As of Tuesday (Feb 2), he said 26,516 legal foreign workers registered with Perkeso had been tested.
He said only 659 of the 8,369 employers registered with the state Manpower Department had sent their foreign workers for the Covid-19 testing programme that was made compulsory on Jan 1.
He said special operations by the Manpower Department, Department of Safety and Health (DOSH) and Perkeso would be conducted to check on Sabah employers who fail to send their foreign workers for Covid-19 tests.
Melalap assemblymen Datuk Peter Anthony has forked out RM8,000 to help eight villagers, including the driver of a van, to pay their compound fines for breaching the movement control order.
A post on his Facebook page showed him accompanying the villagers to Tenom district police station on Tuesday (Feb 2), where they each paid the RM1,000 fine.
"I am doing this on humanitarian grounds. I understand the villagers' predicament as they live far from town.
A 27-year-old woman who attended a funeral in Sipitang has become the index case of a new Covid-19 cluster in Sabah.
Sabah Covid-19 spokesperson Datuk Seri Masidi Manjun said the woman, who displayed symptoms, tested positive for Covid-19 at the Kota Belud Hospital on Jan 27.
The hospital is about a four-hour drive away from Kampung Samin in Sipitang, where the funeral was held.
Masidi said the Kampung Samin cluster now has 28 cases.
Two more students have tested positive for Covid-19 in Sabah.
These two cases are part of a new cluster, the Jalan Labuk Sandakan cluster, detected on Saturday (Jan 30).
Prior to this, 10 students and four teachers tested positive for Covid-19 between Jan 20-26.
Minister in charge of Covid-19 matters in Sabah, Datuk Seri Masidi Manjun said 263 new cases were reported on Saturday, including the two students.
Four secondary schools here were ordered to close following several students and teachers contracting Covid-19.
Sabah Covid-19 spokesperson Datuk Seri Masidi Manjun said the 10-day closure directive was made for SM St Mary, SMK Elopura, SMK Batu Sapi and SMK Perempuan, here.
There were a total of 10 students and four teachers from these schools who were confirmed to be Covid-19 positive from Jan 20-26.
At SM St Mary, there is a teacher and eight students who tested positive for the virus. At SMK Elopura, there are two teachers infected.
The Sabah government will look into measures, including providing gadgets, to help poor or underprivileged students lacking such technology for online studies.
Chief Minister Datuk Seri Hajiji Noor said this when asked about the current predicament faced by many rural students as well as those whose parents cannot afford devices like smartphones, laptops or tablets for online classes.
“This is something we are considering, efforts towards gadgets (provision).
Guidelines for the Chinese New Year festivities next month are expected to be strict given the high number of daily Covid-19 infections here, said Sabah Covid-19 spokesperson Datuk Masidi Manjun.
The local government and housing minister said that while the guidelines are being drawn up by the National Unity Ministry with the help of the National Security Council, he was certain that it would reflect the current state of the pandemic in the country.
“If we look at what’s been happening in the last two weeks, it is obvious we are in a situation where we have to be very cautious. The national figure is in thousands. In Sabah, we are at three figures, which is still huge and reflects the seriousness of the situation we are in,” he said.
A total of 58 Form Five and Form Six students in Sabah tested positive for Covid-19 on Sunday (Jan 24).
Minister in charge of Covid-19 affairs in the state, Datuk Seri Masidi Manjun said these students were tested prior to returning to hostels, and were close contacts of positive patients.
“They are all under quarantine in their respective districts comprising 10 in Sandakan, seven each in Lahad Datu and Semporna, six in Tawau, four each in Kalabakan, Kota Marudu and Kudat, three in Kinabatangan and Ranau respectively, two each in Telupid and Tongod, and one in Beaufort, ” he said during his daily briefing here, Monday (Jan 25).
Inter-state travel and ship crews using illegal jetties led to a sudden surge in Covid-19 cases in Labuan.
Labuan Health Department director Dr Ismuni Bohari said the return of students from Sabah to Labuan for the new semester at the Industrial Training Institute (ITI) here earlier this month caused a new cluster to emerge, namely the Jalan Mohammed Salleh Cluster, and has produced 30 cases as at yesterday.
“It was only nine students who boarded a bus to Labuan early this month testing positive before the virus spread to other students, the institution’s academic staff and their family members,” he told Bernama today.
A new Covid-19 cluster has been detected in the Kalabakan district in Sabah, with a tahfiz student as the index case.
The Kampung Bombalai cluster has 16 cases so far. Close contact screening and tracing of the infection source are ongoing.
State Local Government and Housing Minister Datuk Masidi Manjun revealed this in a statement on Saturday (Jan 23).